Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th May 2010, 02:58 PM
Friend

Default making friends with a folder

Had a great time today, you see, today is Jersey's "National Day", Liberation day, a celebration of when Jersey was liberated from German Occupation at the end of the last war and we have a celebration of the fact,lots of military vehicles, vintage cars and people in soldiers uniform from the period, and costume of the time, great for some street portraits, so I put some HP5+ in my old contina folder and set off,and wondered around the area, and every one that I asked if they minded said they would love to be photographed with such a wonderfull old camera,and I had so many people, young and old, who asked me about the camera,and where I got it from,and some both young and old where they might be able to get one, I was told that using this camera,and shooting black and white film was "cool", it made me realise just how much interest there still is in analoge, and I have made a number of new friends.Such a difference to when I used a modern slr and often met with a little hostility,,and I wonder if others here have found the same friendly reception when out with older cameras,and to round it off I had so much cooperation from people that I got some great photos,Richard
Old 9th May 2010, 03:23 PM
Friend

Richard
Sounds like you had a great day, looking forward to seeing the results.

Andrew
Old 9th May 2010, 03:51 PM
Friend

Andrew, When I have made some prints I will post them here,Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 9th May 2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: still cannot spell
Old 9th May 2010, 06:50 PM
Friend

I often use a 50's Ensign selfix 820 and I find it interesting that it's about a 50/50 split between people that think it fell off the Ark, and others that think it looks like current retro hi-tech gear.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:52 AM
Friend

I have an ensign selfix 12/20 and when people get over the look of the camera I often find that they are amazed that it is an english camera,but I find that people are so much friendlier and more than happy to let you photograph them with these old cameras, and everyone wants to talk about them,Richard
Old 19th May 2010, 10:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I have an ensign selfix 12/20 and when people get over the look of the camera I often find that they are amazed that it is an english camera,but I find that people are so much friendlier and more than happy to let you photograph them with these old cameras, and everyone wants to talk about them,Richard
I found my Franka a good conversation starter recently. I hope i'll experience the same when I take the Mamiya tlr out for the first time

Tags
ave
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies