Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th December 2010, 06:02 PM
Friend

Default A Gathering of Like-Minded Minds

I know there there are various informal meet-ups planned on a number of forums but thought some might find this idea interesting. Email Andrew Sanderson direct to register your interest or post to the link.

http://www.thewebdarkroom.com/?p=533
Old 4th December 2010, 06:11 PM
Friend

Sounds just a little bit too elitist to me, but as you say some may find it of interest.
Old 5th December 2010, 06:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
I know there there are various informal meet-ups planned on a number of forums but thought some might find this idea interesting. Email Andrew Sanderson direct to register your interest or post to the link.

http://www.thewebdarkroom.com/?p=533
You could direct him to the informal FADU members meeting where people can bring prints and discuss their photographs as you have mentioned.
Those who attend often bring some prints and discuss them over a pint of beer or three or many more.

Last edited by Keith Tapscott.; 5th December 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:18 PM
Friend

Lots of forums have these type of gatherings - here, filmwasters and apug to name a few - horses for courses
Old 7th December 2010, 11:00 PM
Friend

Default Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sounds just a little bit too elitist to me, but as you say some may find it of interest.
I agree Dave, I have great respect for Andrew, fan of your work Andrew, some empathy with your intentions, but am fearful of the terms famous or semi-famous, good luck with it.

My solution to home/work pressures as described is not to join something extra. Look forward to seeing some of the high quality work such collaboratons can engender, but FADU is enough for me just now.

Best Wishes -

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 14th December 2010, 07:32 PM
Friend

Anyone that has spent any time with Andrew would know that he is as down to earth as any you're likely to meet - elitist is stretching things by a long way. The terms famous and semi famous a little unfortunate perhaps but this should not discredit what he is trying to do.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:10 PM
Friend

As one who has spent half a lifetime avoiding anything that suggests any form of restriction such as proposed for these events I am suspicious of anyone that wishes to control such meetings in the way Andrew appears to suggest. The meetings arranged through this forum, and indeed those that many here participated in under the APUG umbrella were, and remain, open to all; the famous, semi-famous, anonymous, and completely unknowns. But then I’m just an old cynic.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:19 PM
Friend

But restricted to film only - but then we are all cynics
Old 14th December 2010, 10:00 PM
Friend

I would agree with Carl; sadly I've only met Andrew once in person, but we have spoken at length over the 'phone and via email and he seems a very down to earth person, passionate about film based photography and very generous of his time. I know he is, like many (all?) on FADU, concerned about the lack of commitment shown by many towards film and darkroom practice and I feel this is his way to address some of these concerns.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 15th December 2010, 08:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
But restricted to film only - but then we are all cynics
That's true, but that's where our interests here lie, and since anyone with similar interests is encouraged to join in I don't think our aims or operation are in anyway elitist. People don't apply to join FADU in the accepted sense, they just turn up and participate when, and if they wish, and that applies just as much to our physical meetings as these here on-line; you don't have to rely on receiving an invite to attend.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies