Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th January 2017, 03:42 PM
Friend

Default Any half-frame users?

I've always had a preference for medium format, only using 35mm when I wasn't able to carry a MF camera on family holidays etc. I've often been guilty of seeing 35mm as 'inferior' - despite some of my favourite images (mine and others) being 35mm!

Just recently I've swung the other way. I was given a Konica Eye2 half-frame camera a couple of years ago. It didn't work and I kept it as a curiosity as it was a nice-looking camera. My brother offered to try and get it working for me and he did! I put a film through it and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Up to 5x7 prints are indistinguishable from 35mm to my eyes. I've been using Fuji Acros. Since then I've also managed to obtain a Fujica Drive and an Olympus Pen EE3. The latter was listed on an auction site simply as 'Old camera, broken, can't get film for it but looks nice' - It's in top condition and works perfectly!

Anyone else using half-frame (18x24mm)? and hints or tips welcome.

I'll put some scans of the prints on here one I've fixed my scanner.
Old 30th January 2017, 03:53 PM
Friend

I've never tried it, but I am curious. I have been using 35mm regularly again after a period of working with 6x6 and 4x5" cameras. I must look for a suitable camera.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th January 2017, 04:10 PM
Friend

Not a user, but I soon will be one... My father used a wonderful miniature German-made Robot Berning half frame which I will be getting from my Mother soon. Dad made some great B&Ws and even chromes with that camera. Tack sharp lens (Tessar, perhaps?), and the best part was that it was self-winding! Tension up the winder spring mechanism (no batteries needed), and the camera would advance to the next frame automatically in near silence. Brilliant design. I'm really looking forward to using it.

I would say that to get the best image quality one would want to use something like a Tmax or Delta film, or perhaps PanF for a more traditional grain look. I'm sure you could get a passable 8x10 then, if the lens is up to it. Having no mirror, one could get away with hand-held at slower shutter speeds and still get decent results - hence a slower film should be usable.

I have a small Rollei 35SE pocket camera and use this little gizmo to help get a smoother shutter release with less shake:
http://rapidwinder.com/the-abrahamss...assic-and-mini
Originally designed for Leicas, but it really works well on my Rollei. Highly recommended. Apparently TLR users are keen on it also.

Have fun with the new camera!

Cheers,
Svend

PS -- Although I mostly shoot MF these days, judging by what's hanging on the walls in our home, some of my best images were taken with 35mm, and most of those with the little Rollei. I've got some perfectly sharp 11x14's done with that camera, taken on simple FP4 in ID11. Standing a few feet back, they look like medium format. Amazing what a good lens and a steady shot can do.

Last edited by Svend; 30th January 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 30th January 2017, 05:49 PM
Friend

Hi Rob.
I have never used a 1/2 frame, but I have seen some great work done with the olly Pen F half frame by a friend of mine a while ago, 10/8's using the long gone Plus X, fp4 (not +) amd pan F, good luck with your new camera, the main thing is to have fun with it
Richard
Old 30th January 2017, 05:57 PM
Friend

It was many, many moons ago when I had a a half frame camera. One was called a 'Taron Chic'. Only auto exp and the way it was made the natural way to hold it gave portrait format images. I didn't like it so sold it on. Then I had an Olympus D3 I think it was called. Manual adjusted exposure with a built in meter and a damn sharp F1.7 lens. I only ever used Pan F with it and so long as it was held still or on a tripod, you could get a decent 9.5 x 12 print from it. I cannot remember what happened to it though.

http://vintagecameralab.com/taron-chic/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/olympu...7624972785773/

Last edited by John King; 30th January 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 1st February 2017, 08:45 PM
New User

Default Any half-frame users?

Half frame can give pleasing results. This picture was taken using the Olympus Pen EE camera from my grand father.

The camera is very compact. And you get to take ~72 exposures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:04 AM
Friend

I use a Pen D3 about once a year and usually get good results. I find it very liberating that a 36-frame roll will give at least 75 pictures.

Many people like to do dyptics with half-frame.

Old 6th February 2017, 08:28 PM
Friend

I've put a few of the first results from the Konica Eye2 and Fuji Drive into an album. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=582
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies