Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st November 2009, 10:07 PM
Friend

Default Bill Rowlinson & Richard Nicholson at Photofusion

Anybody with a few decades under their belt will probably remember Bill Rowlinson, or certainly some of the stuff he printed. He was the printer who made the evolutionary leap as a printer from hot chrome-drum sweatshop darkrooms into seriously hand-crafting his work, and pointed the way for many other printers.

Bill died last year, and bequeathed his print collection to Photofusion in Brixton, who are now putting a retrospective of his work on show;

http://www.photofusion.org/gallery/p...nt/default.htm

To add to this darkroom celebration, Richard Nicholson's project of photographing the remaining professional darkrooms is to be shown concurrently at Photofusion.

There are a number of discussion evenings & workshops to accompany this, & Steve Brierley, Sales Director of Harman Imaging will be hosting an evening with Adrian Ensor to discuss the evolution of photographic printing over the last 40 years. Silverprint will have available a 'podcast' of the last interview with Bill about his work, recorded by Branka Jukic. See the Photofusion site for full details.

Last edited by Martin Reed; 21st November 2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: +a bit
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:11 AM
Friend

Thanks for the link Martin, it looks like a good reason for a London trip in the new year.
Old 22nd November 2009, 04:42 PM
Friend

Yes woul love to see some of this but distance and money prevent me

Enjoyed the Project by Richard Nicholson - interesting but a little sad aswell http://www.richardnicholson.com/darkroom/
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:22 PM
Friend

Elf 'n' safety never got there then. Good.
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks Martin - I have added it to the site's Calendar.
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Elf 'n' safety never got there then. Good.
There was/is some great gear shown here. The above quote covers my sentiments exactly. Well almost. In a hurry to get my thoughts down I occasionally miss out the "l" in Elf

Mike
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:34 PM
Friend

Laughed out loud! Some really nice kit, probably used by people who know how to use it, and know how to use it without some jobsworth with his 16th edition IEE regs telling him his electrics are wonky. Craftspeople and artists eh?
Shame the kit and experience has to 'disappear' Time to be a little evangelical about our obsession? Enthuse others as to the fun and quality available? Thoughts?
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:53 PM
Friend

The b&w labs that were going to fold have gone already. Most of this lot aren't the disappearing kind... virtually all of these darkrooms are up, running & intend to stay that way. But certainly the trend was underway 10 years ago of larger labs shrinking down to 1 & 2 man bands. With Downtown we've got Sharon Easterling, (trained by Mike Spry) & Mike Spry still has his own independent darkroom here in the Silverprint premises, so in a sense we still have 2 generations to call on.

But it's a time shifted issue - the problem will be some years down the line, as no training is now taking place to speak of, and there is no new generation entering the profession.
Old 23rd November 2009, 06:11 PM
Friend

We have that problem in the (litho) print industry-I'm the baby in the company, and I'm 40.Not a rare thing in this industry. My step-father is an engineer, several years past retiring, and there is no-one with his ability, never mind experience. Training people requres a future-possible mind-set, and if companies are struggling to survive in the here and now....
So I use this point to reinforce my previous comment in this thread-time to be a little evangelical and promote the darkroom. Be positive about the negative?
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Be positive about the negative?
Well put JimW
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies