Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th January 2010, 12:01 AM
Friend

Is there a darkroom with enlargers and a print drier in place for the first workshops?
Old 17th January 2010, 12:58 AM
Friend

This may be premature but I can see nothing which gives me hope that the kind of equipment necessary for a group of analoguers will be put in place. The kind of RC driers that dry in a matter of seconds which can cater for even a small group are expensive and need time and energy to find.

All we can ask is that the Photographer's Place think things through and is then honest with us as to what analogue courses can be provided or even if any analogue courses can be provided.

The worst of all worlds would be to invite analoguers to participate and for them only to find that they weren't catered for at all.

I feel particularly spectical today as I met a member of the Daventry Photography Club today that I used to attend . I asked about the darkroom. She thought it was still there but hadn't been used as long as she could remember. I asked about the slide competititons and was told that the club had obtained a digi projector. Anyone wanting to enter a slide had to have it digitised but she didn't know of any film users so the problem didn't arise.

What about MF enthusiasts who really only have film, I asked? She didn't know of any. It was like the joke, first man: Our dog doesn't eat meat" He then responds to the understandable quizzical look from the second man and adds " we don't give it any"

Mike
Old 17th January 2010, 01:38 AM
Friend

I guess they think people will pay to learn how to chimp at histograms. As though histograms have anything to do with photography
It's indicative of the level of knowledge they expect their participants to have.
Old 17th January 2010, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Welcome to fadu Martin. I'm glad to hear you are also accepting traditional prints for your workshops. I wish you every success in the venture, please provide some feedback on the how your first workshop was received once completed.
Old 17th January 2010, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
Is there a darkroom with enlargers and a print drier in place for the first workshops?
I think this would be most unlikely as the venue is Ilam Hall. The lack of traditional photographic facilities available to workshop facilitators is a real problem.
Old 17th January 2010, 12:35 PM
Friend

I wonder if anyone has ever put together a mobile darkroom? An old bus perhaps? With a 'dark' marquee for demonstrations?
It may seem that there wouldn't be enough business to make it worthwhile - but if it's the only one...
Maybe I'm loosing it...
Old 17th January 2010, 12:41 PM
Friend

They used to use them in the First World War, drawn by horses of course

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th January 2010, 01:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever put together a mobile darkroom? An old bus perhaps? With a 'dark' marquee for demonstrations?
It may seem that there wouldn't be enough business to make it worthwhile - but if it's the only one...
Maybe I'm loosing it...
A community group in Manchester had a bus converted into a darkroom some years afo but the idea did not take off. About 4 to 5 years ago IlfordPhoto agreed to store in on their site at Mobberly and did use it one year at Focus when Andrew Sanderson demonstrated making silver prints on an enlarger that used digital files.
Old 17th January 2010, 07:14 PM
Friend

I wonder where it is now?

I remembered where the bus idea came from... Daniel Meadows - Living like this, and 'The Bus' where he toured around the country doing portraits from a bus.
Old 17th January 2010, 07:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
Maybe I'm loosing it...
My eventual plan is to get one on a canal boat, maybe if I can afford a dutch barge .

I think if I had the time or money I'd like to try one of these courses, digital or not. It'd be interesting to see whether its about metering/composing correctly, or if its about aspects that are only useful to digital users - real-time histograms, editing in photoshop etc etc.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies