Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd October 2017, 10:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Is the mirror mounted correctly? Is it hitting the back of the lens?
H'mmm, I'm not sure about that. I'll try to investigate it. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:08 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in Silver View Post
H'mmm, I'm not sure about that. I'll try to investigate it. Thanks for your suggestion!
Well....I'm gob-smacked! This mystery had really been aggravating me. As of this morning I still confirmed that I need after each exposure to apply pressure downwards on the mounted lens in order to make the mirror return. I was somewhat sceptical of your suggestion that the mirror might be rubbing up against the lens mount. It just seemed implausible to me and I couldn't imagine how that could have occurred. BUT I JUST CONFIRMED THAT IT IS INDEED THE CAUSE! I rather gingerly applied pressure on the edge of the mirror, "inwards" i.e. away from the lens mount. Immediately the mirror operation became correct.
I am still not absolutely sure that this fix will be permanent but right now I am feeling more than a bit chuffed!

Thanks for your suggestion. I shall give an update in a week or so to let you know if the "fix" is till good.
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:56 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Sounds like contact between mirror and lens. Have you tried another lens? The problem could be either the lens, or the mount on the camera. I once bought a Nikon F3 body which had a damaged mount. I only realised when I fitted a lens. It was more difficult than normal. A close look showed that the mount was seperating from the body, probably due to a heavy lens being used unsupported. I got a refund from the shop. If your mirror drops when twisting the lens, it sounds like you are effectively removing an obstruction.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Many thanks, Alex. I seem to have fixed it by applying some pressure, pushing the edge of the mirror, when in its "UP" position, away from the lens mount. So you were right! Please see my response to Good Old Norm.
Old 24th October 2017, 07:54 AM
Friend

Great news! Thanks for letting us know. It’s always nice to finally fix something.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31st October 2017, 12:39 PM
Friend

Sounds like 'Slipping Mirror Syndrome' that Contax RTS models sometimes have -- luckily NOT MINE SO FAR ! There is some sticky stuff fixing the mirror onto the mirror holder which softens in heat and allows the mirror to slip down a bit. Maybe the case with YOURS.
Old 31st October 2017, 01:00 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Sounds like 'Slipping Mirror Syndrome' that Contax RTS models sometimes have -- luckily NOT MINE SO FAR ! There is some sticky stuff fixing the mirror onto the mirror holder which softens in heat and allows the mirror to slip down a bit. Maybe the case with YOURS.
Yes, that could well be.
After fixing the problem (see below) I thought quite a bit about what could have caused this and I really think my hunch is correct. Namely, in my enthusiasm as the new owner I cleaned the mirror, usining first a blower brush and then wiping the mirror surface with a tissue. I think the pressure that I applied during the cleaning could well have slightly deformed the mirror mechanism. Certainly my remedy, of applying a quite gentle "inwards" pressure with my thumbnail, seems to have worked well. I have had no further problems.
Old 7th November 2017, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monopix View Post
Seems I'm the only one who can see my posts. Strange.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sorry - you got temporarily caught in the spam trap... I have released you!

Cheers, Bob.
Old 8th November 2017, 10:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
A tiny spot of silicon sealant or soft drying glue like Bostick applied to each side of the mirror where it fits into its frame will cure that.

Tags
chinon, cp-9af, mirror, problem
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies