Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th April 2018, 03:52 PM
Friend

Reply to my enquiry to Ilford on this;

Hi Jez,

DD is really aimed at labs in replenished machine systems, however the formula is very similar to DD-X so potentially you could look to use this instead, and the dilution is the same (1+4).
You need to consider though that 5L of concentrate is a lot of developer and will oxidise over time, so might work out to be less economical if you end up throwing unused and oxidised developer away. Life of concentrate is approx 6 months once opened in tightly capped bottle.

Kind regards,

Neil.
Old 25th April 2018, 04:56 PM
Friend

Jez, based on llford's reply and given the cost difference and the extra longevity decanting the DD into winebags may give it, it may be worth a shot.

pentaxuser
Old 27th April 2018, 03:26 PM
Friend

If you are buying for reasons of economy, perhaps other liquid developers such as Ilfotec HC or LC29 might be worth considering.
Old 28th April 2018, 05:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Jez, based on llford's reply and given the cost difference and the extra longevity decanting the DD into winebags may give it, it may be worth a shot.

pentaxuser
I agree Mike. I'm pleased Ilford took the trouble to reply. At some point I'll do the maths and work out which is more economical per litre, DD 1+4 or Xtol 1+1.

Im not buying for reasons of economy Keith, I just need everything to be as cheap as possible.
Old 28th April 2018, 06:37 PM
Friend

Ok, shock horror... Didn't expect it, but DD works out cheaper per litre. I took the price for Xtol from Firstcall Photographic, and DD from the Harman website. Assuming dilution of 1+1 for Xtol and 1+4 for DD, Xtol is £2.74 per litre and DD £2.20.

But as the Ilford rep pointed out, 25 litres is a lot of developer...
Old 28th April 2018, 07:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeztastic View Post
Ok, shock horror... Didn't expect it, but DD works out cheaper per litre. I took the price for Xtol from Firstcall Photographic, and DD from the Harman website. Assuming dilution of 1+1 for Xtol and 1+4 for DD, Xtol is £2.74 per litre and DD £2.20.

True, Jez, but it's only 5 litres if you decant the 5L of concentrate into 2x 3L winebags and then dilute as needed.

Mike
Old 29th April 2018, 07:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeztastic View Post

One advantage of Xtol is that if you use it replenshied then your Xtol does go a long long way, I don't know much about it but I have heard reports of the replnshied xtol lasting over a year, maybe worth looking into
Richard
Old 29th April 2018, 02:56 PM
Friend

I've read a bit about replenishing and the downsides outweigh the benefits for me. You lose some speed to start with, and for me the main advantage of using modern developers is that you get box speed or better with fine grain. A lot of people who are into replenishing seem to be willing to spend a fair amount of time testing their developer and film, and happy to shoot HP5 at 320ISO or less. Which i am not.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies