Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2021, 07:30 PM
Friend

Default Durst M605 leaky

Not Titanic leaky, of course, more light leaky.
I had my first printing session yesterday with my recently acquired M605.
It seems very well put together, and I like the rigid geared column. The multi-format negative holder is great, as I can just slide the masks to suit my Horizon panoramic negatives.
Changing the bulb was a bit of a faff, but that's not something you do every day.
Most surprising was the amount of light escaping. There's a slider to change mixing box from 35mm to 6x6. That leaked, plus spillage from the top of the negative carrier. Is this par for the course? Neither my Fujimoto or my LPL are quite as generous with their contribution to the ambient lighting.

ps- Not the fault of the Durst, but didn't manage a single good print in 4 hours. Epic loss of form.
Old 8th November 2021, 07:48 PM
Friend

I have the M605 as well, skellum. It was my first enlarger when I started darkroom work some 16 years ago and it remains my only enlarger. Yes mine is leaky and from exactly those places you mention and while I have no other model to compare it to for light leaks I have never noticed it create any printing problem.

I suppose it is just possible that if the lamp were on and you pulled down a fresh sheet from above and to the side of the mask where it leaks then it might affect the sheet. However I have my paper box on the table top an inch or so below the enlarger base so any light leak from the mask seems not to affect the paper

Mike
Old 9th November 2021, 07:45 AM
Friend

Thanks Mike.
I was just surprised that something apparently so well built had such obvious light spillage. In the spirit of honesty that wasn't what was spoiling my prints on Sunday morning.

It was a bit more to do with lack of talent
Old 9th November 2021, 08:12 AM
Friend

Default Light leakage

I doubt if the amount of light leaking out will cause a serious problem except with prolonged exposure when using RA4 paper which is quite sensitive, more so than B&W.

I do find it odd that with a piece of equipment as well made as your Durst has a light leak. My LPL does emit a small amount of light coming out sideways from the slot where you insert the negative carrier, but that is not significant.

Even my very basic Meopta which I use for my B&W work hardly has any at all from anywhere.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:23 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I’ve had an M605K from new. The slider has/had a piece of slit foam to seal light leaks but over time this wears or degrades. It could easily be replaced. I cannot remember any significance light leaks around the carrier but it is about 15 years since I used mine after changing to a De Vere 504. It is in storage in the loft since then so cannot make a check.

Bill
Old 9th November 2021, 11:20 AM
Friend

Hi John, agree on the LPL. A tiny amount of light escapes round the carrier, but minimised when you 'clamp' it down properly.
My little Fujimoto is also pretty good. They're so good, in fact, I have all my walls in the darkroom white to maximise the safelighting. In my last darkroom I opted for matt black behind and above the enlargers, but always felt it was a bit unnecessary as they didn't really leak any meaningful amount of light.
Cheers All.
Old 9th November 2021, 12:27 PM
Friend

When I used my M605 in the loft I did not notice any light spillage.
I was set up in the middle, but when I moved my set up down to the box room I noticed the glare on the white walls about half a metre from the head.
I posted some pictures of my remedy here about a year ago, but can no longer find the item.

Anyway, my solution is wood and red felt masks for the negative carrier, with a piece of card over the 35/80mm selection slot, held in place with a small magnet.
I also made a shield to cover the illuminated dials of the filter selection panel.

I only use the shields when making colour prints.
I have tried with and without for black and white prints but can see no difference.

The black disc on the white panel is a rubber grommet that fits over the "B" filter knob. This holds the white shield in place.

Cheers.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1636460626

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1636460626
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DURST LIGHT LEAKAGE   a..JPG
Views:	263
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	4268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DURST LIGHT LEAKAGE  b..JPG
Views:	253
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	4269  
Old 9th November 2021, 01:24 PM
Friend

Thanks Nat.
Sounds like the only time this might be a problem is when printing colour, which I don't do.
However, I like the magnet idea!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies