Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2021, 05:39 PM
Friend

Default Nova 16x12 Replenish

I have this tank with B/W chemicals, I have put through it about 12 5x7 prints since filling it. I have the round bar lids in place and I always cover it with cling film, but what ratio do others use to replenish the Dev,stop and fixer.

Do you use neat chemical's or make a small mixture drain off some and add the new chemical's.
Old 8th November 2021, 07:52 PM
Friend

I tend to use what Ilford suggests is the ratio of replenishment for 8x10 and double it for 5x7. I suspect that this is a conservative ratio on Ilford's part.

Mike
Old 8th November 2021, 08:07 PM
Friend

I always fill-up the slots with diluted chemicals and not neat otherwise, over time, you have no idea what the dilution is.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 8th November 2021, 11:50 PM
Friend

I have always used cling film over the top of a NOVA. but that does little to stop the chemicals going off, it has more to do with reducing the evaporation which will over time increase the concentration of the working solution.

Having said that I have never used a NOVA for B&W, but the quantity of developer in a 12 x 16 slot will process far more than you have been using it for. I would think at least 20 10x8 prints is possible. The replenishment rate for C41 colour is 10cc's per 80 sq ins of paper, whether that corelates with B&W I don't know.

I don't know what Ilford's replenishment rate is for B&W, but I should stick rigidly to what they recommend.
Old 9th November 2021, 12:40 PM
Friend

I top up mine with 10ml of dev for each RC 10" x 8" that I process, once it gets to 10 prints. Usually the liquid will have fallen a bit by then, by carryover, especially when processing FB prints, which count as 2 RC prints, as they absorb more chemical. A session just doing FB's means the topping up will be sooner.

Having reread some NOVA instructions recently, they recommend 20ml per B/W RC 10" x 8", but I'm sticking with 10ml, as that's what I've used for ages and it works for me.

I have it written on a white board in my darkroom, to keep tally of what's going through the dev and fixer, but I think that Ilford state that you can get 50 (I think - without checking) 10" x8" 's per litre of working solution, which is probably the same for fixer, so you are way below the recommended amount with what you have done so far. (BTW: I'll have to recheck the numbers though, when next in the darkroom).

Also, I have never used clingfilm, as I've never noticed any noticeable drop in levels in the slots, but I only use B/W chemicals and my darkroom is in an outbuilding, so only gets quite hot for a few months in the summer. The rest of the time, I just have a small fan heater on to keep my feet warm.

Terry S
Old 9th November 2021, 05:12 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I must confess to taking a much more relaxed view of replenishment. I have been using a 12×16 slot processor (toaster) for over 25 years; ever since a Nova dishwarming mat burnt my worktop and nearly set my darkroom on fire. Nova made me an offer I could not refuse!

For development (generally RC Paper; I have not used FB for many a year) I use 1+9 Developer and top up with 1+4 Developer usually 100 or occasionally 200ml whenever losses largely by carryover and some evaporation reduces the level below the image being developed. And then chuck the developer after a month (although I have on occasion used 2 month old developer) and replace after filling and chucking three rinses of clean warmish tap water using a bottle brush if necessary with the first rinse.

The fixer I top up when ever the level does not cover the paper. For this I use 1+4 fixer from the bottle that is used for fixing developed film. I reuse film fixer until the clearing time of 35mm film leader has doubled. I exchange the print fixer after fixing the equivalent of 80-90 10×8 prints with the same rinsing and cleaning regime as the development slot and at the same time replace the stop bath again topping up, if necessary, in between times from the film stopbath bottle (I find it very difficult to tell in my darkroom when the colour of indicator stop bath goes pink and have thus adopted this regime).

More drastic cleaning of the slots is undertaken if there are particular staining problems: usually less than once per year.

Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 9th November 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 9th November 2021, 05:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I top up mine with 10ml of dev for each RC 10" x 8" that I process, once it gets to 10 prints. Usually the liquid will have fallen a bit by then, by carryover, especially when processing FB prints, which count as 2 RC prints, as they absorb more chemical. A session just doing FB's means the topping up will be sooner.

Having reread some NOVA instructions recently, they recommend 20ml per B/W RC 10" x 8", but I'm sticking with 10ml, as that's what I've used for ages and it works for me.

I have it written on a white board in my darkroom, to keep tally of what's going through the dev and fixer, but I think that Ilford state that you can get 50 (I think - without checking) 10" x8" 's per litre of working solution, which is probably the same for fixer, so you are way below the recommended amount with what you have done so far. (BTW: I'll have to recheck the numbers though, when next in the darkroom).

Also, I have never used clingfilm, as I've never noticed any noticeable drop in levels in the slots, but I only use B/W chemicals and my darkroom is in an outbuilding, so only gets quite hot for a few months in the summer. The rest of the time, I just have a small fan heater on to keep my feet warm.

Terry S
10cc per 10x8 print is the same as RA4 whether or not is correct or not I don't know but if it works go with it. If you leave a processor full of chemicals for about a week which I have to at times the level will drop. When it does, it should be topped up with plain water to the original level. Using fresh diluted developer will slightly increase the concentration, not really a problem with B&W.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:03 PM
Friend

I use a 12x16 Nova for mostly FB paper. I find that the amount of developer absorbed by the paper necessitates topping up at possibly a higher rate than needed for correct activity. I usually use home made ID-78. I make it up at 3x normal concentration using some minor substitutions and store in 500mL bottles. One bottle is diluted to 3L, 2L for the slot and 1L for topping up.

For the subsequent baths no topping up is generally needed for levels, but for normal attention for capacity. My Nova is a 4 slot model, so I use two bath fixing.

If I don't have sufficient top up left (not usual with the home made ID-78), I top up with water so the level stays high.

Move the paper in the slots a bit to minimize any unevenness caused by the ripple texture on the slot walls. This sometimes is subtle and can appear only after toning.
Old 10th November 2021, 12:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I top up mine with 10ml of dev for each RC 10" x 8" that I process, once it gets to 10 prints.
Terry S
I've just noticed that I omitted the words, 'working strength' dev when talking about topping up the slots and NOT FULL STRENGTH(!), straight from the bottle, as might have been implied.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies