Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th November 2021, 06:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Having just checked, there have been 460 views of this thread, but only 6 names put down for the exchange...

Bit sad really, to see so little participation.

Terry S
I'll take responsibility for at least 400 of them, Terry.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th November 2021, 08:18 PM
Friend

Good evening Terry.
There is a thread relating to the negative exchange which has a huge number of views- something like 45 thousand.
Now, we just don't have that many members. I'm guessing that some folk found their way here by searching google for that topic, and perhaps the lack of activity in this area lost us some potential members.
We should also be mindful that whilst some of us (myself and I believe you) are happy to put forward images for critical comment we are also lucky enough to have members new to film and darkroom work. They may not yet feel confident in their ability, and are perhaps wary of coming forward when the folk asking to take part have thousands of posts here between them. If we run a couple of rounds of this, with participants putting forward their images and a bit of friendly discussion I reckon we'll see more participants.

By the way, you'll shortly have something in your PM box
Old 11th November 2021, 10:43 PM
Friend

PMs should now have gone to all participants naming their Exchange partner. Please let me know immediately if I missed anyone. Next:
  • Select an negative.
  • Produce a print from it.
  • No later than 15-12-2021 send Negative and Print to your partner- enclose your print in a second, sealed, envelope within the outer package.
  • Obviously, once posted you won't have the print anymore so best take a scan of it for the gallery later.
  • This is a 35mm only exchange, so please be clear on which negative you intend to be the subject in a strip of 5 or 6. I'd suggest not only specifying the frame edge numbers, but perhaps also describe it (such as "second from left when viewed right way up")
Please post here when you've sent your negative, and I'll do a 'bump' on this thread 2 weeks then 3 weeks from now to track how we're all doing.
Everyone should be in possession of the negative we're going to print before the Christmas break. If any participant runs into problems meeting the date, please message me.
Having seen the pairs I think this could be really interesting project, and good luck to everyone who's taking part.
Colin
Old 12th November 2021, 05:38 AM
Friend

I just dropped a letter to Scotland in a yellow letterbox. (They are yellow in Germany). It will be emptied at 9 o'clock. Enjoy the exchange!
Old 12th November 2021, 06:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Having just checked, there have been 460 views of this thread, but only 6 names put down for the exchange...

Bit sad really, to see so little participation.

Terry S
I'm one of those 460!
Eyeing with interest to this exchange, but with the monthly print exchange and other things going on currently, it would be just a little too much right now...
Perhaps I'll join in another round!

Have fun everyone, looking forward to see the results!
Old 12th November 2021, 08:09 AM
Friend

Good Morning Buzz.
The Print exchange has now run (I believe) for 135 rounds with only a couple of interruptions: There was an agreed risk from posting things during the Pandemic, and we possibly missed one Christmas. That's a great record of participation.
For the negative exchange to thrive it will have to run to a different timetable. Participation will be easier if members don't have 2 projects pending simultaneously with the same dead-line. Rather, I'll try to 'stagger' the dates so that anyone trying to take part in both exchanges can deal with one thing at a time.

For example, this Sunday I'll make my Round 135 print (no luck last week!), and in the evening (perhaps with a dram for company?) review my 35mm negs with a view to printing one up the following weekend.

Hopefully there will be plenty more rounds to come, and we'll see you in one of those.
All the best,
Colin
Old 15th November 2021, 07:53 PM
Friend

Came home from work to find a negative waiting. If part of the process was awarding points for enthusiasm Uwe would now be well ahead. Well done Uwe, and thank you for giving me an early start.
His note does mention something I've found myself. Most of my recent photographs have been taken on 5x4, with many of the rest on 120.
35mm is probably now my least used format. Last night I was looking for something suitable for the exchange, and was surprised how far back I had to go in the search for something suitable. I've decided to allow myself until Sunday night to actually take something new for this project, and failing that send one from my files.

I'll probably put up a new thread to discuss the question of how we might manage multi-format photographers in future. It would be a shame to exclude some members if there's a practical work-around.

Uwe, when you see this I have a PM for you.

Cheers all,
Colin
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:22 AM
Friend

Good Morning everyone.

Just to keep fresh in everyone's memory the date for posting out your own negative to your exchange partner is Wednesday 15-12-21.
About 12 days away.

I've picked one, which I hope is open to some interpretation, and will be printing this weekend.
It's been a harder choice than expected- what I'm noticing is that when using 35mm I crop pretty tight in camera. Possibly a habit from years of using reversal film where what you shoot is what you get. With a lot of my 35mm stuff I don't see much wiggle room in cropping, so interpretation might be more about things like paper choice and tonality. Oddly, my LF and even medium format negatives seem much more 'flexible' in how they'd print.
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Just to keep fresh in everyone's memory the date for posting out your own negative to your exchange partner is Wednesday 15-12-21. About 12 days away.
I've finally managed to print up a negative, with the end result pleasing to my eyes (at the moment anyway). So I'll try to type up the notes to go with the negative and print and then hopefully get it out the beginning of next week.

As you say, it's not so easy picking out a negative to let someone else have a go at printing of.

Terry S
Old 11th December 2021, 02:49 PM
Friend

...And I finally managed to drop off my envelope at the Post Office yesterday = Friday 10 December 2021.

I just hope that my ramblings make sense to the recipient!

Looking forward to receiving my negative to print, although I've still got to make a print for the December Print Exchange yet... (Just how many times can the word 'print' be used in just one sentence? I've managed to get three in! )

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies