Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th June 2021, 09:56 PM
Friend

Default iNew box of Ilford Art300 appears fogged

Just had a delivery of a fresh box of Ilford Art300 8x10 from AG Photographic.

Upon printing I noticed the borders seem to be slightly fogged. I'm using fresh dev and fixer, but still getting slight patterned fogging of edges. Has anyone else had this?

I'm able to bleach the borders but it's time consuming and annoying to say the least.
Old 13th June 2021, 10:55 PM
Friend

A picture of the borders would help, Faraz. Can I take it that the print area is fine? Have your tried to develop and then fix a piece of the paper that includes more than just the border area in total darkness to establish the extent of the fogging.

What colour has the fogging got?Is it black and not uniform? How far down the pack in terms of sheets does the fogging extend?

Lots of questions and the best way to provide answers to at least some of the questions is to show us examples of the fogging.

Thanks

Mike
Old 14th June 2021, 05:41 AM
Friend

I recommend first taking a piece of that paper and only fix it: No exposure or developing. Compare the hue with that of your real prints. So you may decide if that is fog or the hue of the paper base (of this batch).
Old 14th June 2021, 08:25 AM
Friend

I'll try post a picture, but it might be difficult to see to be honest.

The fogging is only on the edges, around 2cm in, it is not a uniform flat grey but patchy. I did a safelight test and this is not the issue. I'll try do a test later today and see if I can get something to post.

I'm only 4 sheets into the pack of 50 so I'm not sure how far down it goes.
Old 14th June 2021, 09:16 AM
Friend

Check your safelight as well, are you using fresh chemicals? Is the print completely submerged while in the fix, are you fixing to the times suggested by Ilford.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 14th June 2021, 09:52 AM
Friend

yes to all the above. I'm quite experienced in the darkroom and would have put this down to one of those issues before suggesting dodgy paper. However my last sheet of the previous box of the same paper printed only a few days ago printed clean without issue.

Still I'm only 90% sure the issue is the paper and just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this before. More tests pending....

btw. the fogging is evident as soon as the paper is out of the developer.
Old 14th June 2021, 11:19 AM
Friend

Where did it come from? I experienced this on paper that (it turned out) had been affected by smoke in a warehouse fire. But other storage problems could cause this.
Old 14th June 2021, 11:44 AM
Friend

In addition to all the questions so far, Faraz, try a sheet that is say half way down and see if the there is any signs of the same effect on that. It'll give you an idea how far down the problem goes.

Have you contacted AG. Once you have the evidence you need I'd contact AG and tell them of the problem. If you can see it by eye then it should be possible to make it show up on a photo for both us and AG

Mike
Old 14th June 2021, 12:01 PM
Friend

Going to perform a definitive fresh chems test today or tomorrow and go from there. Trying a sheet from the middle of the pack is a good idea, thanks, I'll give that a go also.
Old 14th June 2021, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a storage or manufacture issue given your experience and testing. One other (admittedly rare) possibility is that some toning processes give off hydrogen sulphide (as used in stink bombs) that can fog paper and film in the darkroom. Does his sound possible given how long you have had the paper sitting around and what toning processes you use?

One other question to try and narrow things down would be: is the fogging around all the edges or only along one edge - such as the edge where the plastic bag is folded over?

It may of course have been light-struck at Mobberly somehow. If all else fails, contact Ag for a return and they can hopefully send it to Ilford for testing and a replacement.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies