Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th October 2021, 11:34 AM
Friend

Default Tetenal fix and developer tablets.

https://tetenal.com/en/homepage/cons...film-developer

Has this been done to extend shelf life and to save measuring or weighing out chemicals? In theory could any powdered developer be made up into tablets?
Old 19th October 2021, 01:30 PM
Friend

Good question Terry. I suspect the answer is yes if you had the knowledge, skill, the right equipment and key ingredient(s) to do it

My gut instinct says that the answer is no if you are a home user

Mike
Old 19th October 2021, 03:38 PM
Friend

Burroughs Wellcome sold Tabloid branded photo chmistry for many decades. While their main business was pharmaceutical Henry Wellcome was avery keen photograpgher and saw a market for chemistry in Tablet form.

The Burroughs Wellcome camera club Wellcome founded still exists today as the Glaxo wellcome CAmera Club.

One of the major benefits of tabloid form chemistry is it's easier to carry while travelling and Henry wellcome spent a lot of time travelling abroad. Even more useful today when travelling by plane

Ian
Old 19th October 2021, 03:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Burroughs Wellcome sold Tabloid branded photo chmistry for many decades. While their main business was pharmaceutical Henry Wellcome was avery keen photograpgher and saw a market for chemistry in Tablet form.

The Burroughs Wellcome camera club Wellcome founded still exists today as the Glaxo wellcome CAmera Club.

One of the major benefits of tabloid form chemistry is it's easier to carry while travelling and Henry wellcome spent a lot of time travelling abroad. Even more useful today when travelling by plane

Ian
Best not to get the developer/fix tablets confused with your Alka Seltzer
Old 19th October 2021, 04:23 PM
Friend

Sorry Norm, for somehow mistaking you for Terry

Mike
Old 19th October 2021, 05:53 PM
Friend

Not too long ago one of the photography websites I visit (Emulsive?) had an article from someone who had made his own tablets. I can't recall if it was a Rodinal or Pyro based formula, I just remember that, while I'd have appreciated it for the aeroplane travel aspect, it was going to involve expensive chemicals which I can't readily access in Australia so I simply bookmarked it and moved on. I'm happy to dig up the link for you Norm, if it would be of interest.
Ian, I have one of the Wellcome annual recording folders with a little Tabloid advertisement hanging by a thread tucked inside - 1926? 36? At any rate, it's beautifully made.
Old 19th October 2021, 06:10 PM
Friend

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Sorry Norm, for somehow mistaking you for Terry

Mike
No worries, I've been called worst names than Terry
Old 19th October 2021, 06:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Not too long ago one of the photography websites I visit (Emulsive?) had an article from someone who had made his own tablets. I can't recall if it was a Rodinal or Pyro based formula, I just remember that, while I'd have appreciated it for the aeroplane travel aspect, it was going to involve expensive chemicals which I can't readily access in Australia so I simply bookmarked it and moved on. I'm happy to dig up the link for you Norm, if it would be of interest.
Ian, I have one of the Wellcome annual recording folders with a little Tabloid advertisement hanging by a thread tucked inside - 1926? 36? At any rate, it's beautifully made.
Ta! Just out of curiosity I will check out Emulsive.
Old 19th October 2021, 06:15 PM
Friend

It's five in the morning here and I'm reading/typing on my phone before heading to sleep, but give me a moment and I'll try to find that bookmark for you as I'm only half sure Emulsive was the site that featured the article.
Old 19th October 2021, 06:25 PM
Friend

Apologies, it was on PetaPixel and the reason I couldn't find my bookmark is because the heading of the article refers to "cubes" rather than the tablets for which I was searching.
Here is the direct link:

https://petapixel.com/2021/02/25/how...lm-processing/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies