Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th February 2010, 06:05 PM
Friend

Default 500c/m focus help

A few months ago, I acquired a 500c/m and have found it very difficult to focus with the basic viewfinder and ground glass; actually, I should say ground plastic. The problem compared to my beloved Kowa Six, is that I simply cannot tell clearly enough when my reference point is actually in focus! As a result, only photos with the lens stopped down to f16 or 22 look sharp to me. In the studio, I find it impossible to use and very frustrating.

I know there are other viewing options available. What would you suggest for the most accurate focus in general and in lower light conditions? My largest lens will be 150mm. The split image finder sounds appealing.

Thank you

Bruce
Old 27th February 2010, 06:17 PM
Friend

Bruce,

You will no doubt get this repeated by others but the later Acute Matte screens are considerably brighter and have the useful split screen.

My 501CM came with this screen as standard and I was very impressed but when I got a nice 500CM as a backup body I too found it awkward to focus with the original. Rather than shell out a small fortune on the Acute Matte I picked up a cheap copy from Arax http://www.araxfoto.com/accessories/hassel/ which is pretty good for $18 !
It has a split screen and pops into the original metal frame after a bit of fiddling.

Arax are great to deal with and I've also got two of their Prism heads which are well made if a bit prone to internal reflections.

Steve
Old 27th February 2010, 06:52 PM
Friend

Bruce, when I got my bronica a while ago I had the same problem with the standard screen, so I got hold of a Beatie interscreen, and I found that with the increased brightness I could snap into focus, I think they do, or they used to do, an interscreen for the hassleblad, and this might solve the problem,Richard
Old 27th February 2010, 06:52 PM
Friend

The 501 c/m came with a better viewing screen. On mine I have a 45 degree prism viewfinder which I like. I also have the original WLF but have never used it. I think it depends what you are photographing. A WLF keeps the camera lower as you bend down to it meaning the camera is centred on the subject (full length portrait) with no up or down tilt. With a 45 or 90 deg prism finder the camera is getting higher and higher for comfortable viewing position.

45deg prism viewfinder are cheap enough s/h and combine that with the latest acute matte screen and you will see a significant difference but whether it gets the camera in optimum position is another matter as your position will be different to look through viewfinder.

p.s. in the studio you get to set the lighting level so just use brighter modelling lamps.
Old 27th February 2010, 10:54 PM
Friend

When I was using CMs I too had to fit the split screen replacements which did the trick. I picked them up at quite reasonable cost second hand. They are easy to fit with the finder / hood removed.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th February 2010, 01:01 AM
Friend

I feel better knowing there are many solutions, and that others had this experience. I'll check locally first and then try Steve's suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas!

Bruce
Old 28th February 2010, 09:12 AM
Friend

I can only use split image screens these days and all my cameras focus this way. I like to work with my glasses off so this is the only way I can cope with achieving accurate focusing.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th February 2010, 04:42 PM
Friend

Split image screen user here too.
Old 1st March 2010, 01:31 PM
Friend

When I got my 501CM I had to change the standard screen for the split image one as I too found it difficult to determine critical focus. Once I got the new screen, focussing became much easier.

Mark
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:40 AM
Friend

I have no problem with the standard screen in either of my CMs but always use the magnifier, find it difficult to focus sharply on just the ground glass, but they are plenty bright enough for me.

Paul.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies