Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th April 2010, 10:09 AM
Friend

Default Sorry yet another question

Hope not to drive you all crazy with my questions.
I've been asked to shoot a wedding for some friends. I don't have digital so would have to shoot colour film (35mm).
I don't want to mess this up with unknown processing so could someone please recommend a quality lab who they would trust with wedding shots please.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:38 AM
Friend

I trust the Darkroom uk ltd with my slides, They do a very good job with quick turn around. They also do colour neg but I have not used them as I do not shoot much colour neg if at all nowa days.

http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:40 AM
Friend

This depends how good your friends are, and will you be the prime photographer, and do you want to keep said friends.
If you will be the prime photographer as opposed to a back-up to a professional snapper, and you want to remain friends with said friends; then my advice must be, don’t do it!
As for processing and printing, you could do worse than to talk to Matt of AG Photographic as he has an associated processing and printing company which for some reason he doesn’t mention on his web site.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:44 AM
Friend

Thanks for that.
My friends are more than happy for me to shoot film which is a relief because I don't have digital (other than a little compact) and don't plan on buying digital slr, the nikon f90x is a lovely camera to use and I can't imagine shooting with anything else (unless medium format).
I'll give them a go at darkroom.co.uk.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This depends how good your friends are, and will you be the prime photographer, and do you want to keep said friends.
If you will be the prime photographer as opposed to a back-up to a professional snapper, and you want to remain friends with said friends; then my advice must be, don’t do it!
As for processing and printing, you could do worse than to talk to Matt of AG Photographic as he has an associated processing and printing company which for some reason he doesn’t mention on his web site.
I've seen some work by photographers that fall into the price range in reach of my friends and to be honest i'd do a better job with a mobile phone.
I'm not bashing the digital camera in anyway but there are many not so experienced photographers moving into the digital slr world thinking it's the camera that makes the photographer and falling short of the target far too often.
I'd like them to the have the best they can on a very tight budget, the only way I can do that is to do it myself on film.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsparkes View Post
I've seen some work by photographers that fall into the price range in reach of my friends and to be honest i'd do a better job with a mobile phone.
I'm not bashing the digital camera in anyway but there are many not so experienced photographers moving into the digital slr world thinking it's the camera that makes the photographer and falling short of the target far too often.
I'd like them to the have the best they can on a very tight budget, the only way I can do that is to do it myself on film.
Good for you, budgets are such a drag.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:06 AM
Friend

Put it this way Dave, they were actually going to settle for guests having disposable camera's.
I simply couldn't let that happen.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I agree, don't do it, I have been a professional photographer for 30 years,
photographing weddings is not just about photographic ability, it is about routine, familiarity with venus and locations,crowd control, public relations and confidence that you can work under pressure, if you get it wrong even if it is something simple like forgetting to include granny in a group shot you may not be forgiven.
Old 18th April 2010, 12:14 PM
Friend

Well, it sounds like the friends of jonsparkes don't have a budget to pay a pro. And they don't have any other experienced friends besides him who are able to handle a camera beyond the usual digicamuglyfamilyvacationcellphoneshots. And it might be easier to have a digital SLR hoping that there will be some nice shots out of 3000. But he doesn't have one, will not buy one for that occasion (and is only familiar to film - and this is good ;-))!!!). And here are the friends who are more than happy that there is a friend, who takes this job. And I think, that a friendship will not break because the pictures afterwards are not the ones which I imagined looking and professional wedding-books (if the friendship doesn't last because of that, it might have been time for breaking up anyway!!) Unless someone doesn't pretend to be as good as a pro - and just does a friendship-job, it should be fine.
And the only thing to not just hope deals with the question, where to develop the films, so that by chance the pictures are not being ruined because of a fairly done lab-job.
I think it is great, that you do that for your friends, I hope, that they appreciate that, it will be a stressful day for you while everyone else is talking, eating, dancing or whatever - stay relaxed as much as possible and don't try to immitate a pro - take it easy as much as you can. having fun makes the best pictures.
Old 18th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiyamaniac View Post
stay relaxed as much as possible and don't try to immitate a pro - take it easy as much as you can. having fun makes the best pictures.
Thank you, reading this has given me a direction to the mindset I need to adopt. Not imitating a pro is what I needed to hear I think, knowing that i'm a friend shooting what will be a small group of people (not a church do) with equipment I'm very comfortable with - Nikon F90X with F50 as back up, and relax the best I can.
What is a plus in this whole thing is the location. A registry office I've been to several times (with friends, not the fact i've been married several times) and it really is a lovely building and gardens (weather permitting).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies