Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st May 2009, 08:55 PM
Friend

Default Paper Swatch Guides

I was browsing the apug forum a week or two ago and read an article from Simon Galley (Harman) who posts quite regularly over there after members asked if they could obtain a printing paper swatch book from them. The answer came back "NO" but dealers and distributors can purchase them for about £20 each.

As I've always been interested in knowing what the paper surfaces actually look and feel like prior to purchase full boxes, I though I would ring up Harman and try my luck getting a sample booklet. Reply was Sorry but no. I then tried another tactic. this time phoned the Kentmere number listed on their UK website which redirects to Harman and automatically connects with darkroom customer service department and low and behold, they were very helpful after me questioning them for about 10mins about the different surfaces which they concluded by the end of the conversation to despatch me a Ilford Paper Switch Book (Cat. No. 197 8157) and a Kentmere Book (Bar Code No. 19498-16292) which arrived next day with their compliments FOC.

These books are absolutely brilliant. Printed samples contain the following:
Multigrade IV RC Deluxe 1M Glossy
Multigrade IV RC Deluxe 25M Satin
Multigrade IV RC Deluze 44M Pearl
Multigrade RC Warmtone 1M Glossy
Multigrade RC Warmtone 44M Pearl
Multigrade RC Portfolio 1K Glossy
Multigrade RC Portfolio 44K Pearl
Multigrade RC Cooltone 1M Glossy
Multigrade RC Cooltone 44M Pearl
Ilfospeed RC Deluxe Grade 3 1M Glossy
Ilfospeed RC Deluxe Grade 3 24M Semi Matt
Ilfospeed RC Deluxe Grade 3 44M Pearl
Multigrade IV FB Paper 1K Glossy
Multigrade IV FB Paper 5K Matt
Multigrade FB Warmtone 1K Glossy
Multigrade FB Warmtone 24K Semi-Matt
Ilfobrom Galerie FB Grade 3 1K Glossy
Kentmere VC Select Glossy
Kentmere VC Select Fine Lustre
Kenthene Glossy
Kenthene Fine Lustre
Fineprint Glossy (FB)
Fineprint Finegrain (FB) - will be relaunched with new formulation 2009
Bromide D.Wt. Glossy

The images printed on these samples are very nice - I can aspire to them.

Anyway, my main point is rather than asking outright for a swatch book and getting a flat "NO", try asking about the technical issues of the different paper surfaces and they might just send you one rather than them trying to explain the differences over the phone.

I also rec'd a nice history of Harman (The last 100 years), a couple of Ilford product booklets and product catalogues.

Full credit due to such nice helpful folk at Harman (KENTMERE) which is a rarity in today's customer service world!

If any of you need some guidance on paper surfaces, I might be able to assist you now that I have something to look at.

apxuser
Old 2nd May 2009, 06:17 AM
Friend

Just shows that perseverance pays off, well done.

As a matter of general interest I have invited Simon Galley to post news of Ilford products here, but he has obviously not taken up that offer.
Old 2nd May 2009, 06:34 PM
Friend

apxuser. In the words of the late King( that's Elvis not George V "On the level you're a lucky devil"

Still worth a try. The worst that can happen is that I end up in "Heartbreak Hotel" ( there already really, looking at Ilford prices) and if successful might end up "in love and all shook up"

Q. How does anyone know if there are really old?
A. By realising you're prepared to show it without caring!

Mike
Old 7th May 2009, 05:29 PM
Friend

Another somewhat easier useful free swatch is the Lee Filters one, hundreds of coloured gels about 3X1.25 inches. you can get two types a colour order one for real people and a part number order one for buyers! Boy are there some weird colours in there.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies