Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2016, 09:10 AM
Friend

Thanks for the comments. Suppliers, particularly photographic, have gone through great changes in the last 30 years. In the early 80's the market was so relatively large that manufacturers could ignore territories that didn't seem active enough, for example in the UK there was no Kodak Selenium Toner, Oriental Seagull paper hadn't even made it into Europe, & most of the Soviet block manufacturers photo products didn't make it past the Iron Curtain (but let's face it, much of their product was not up to professional scrutiny).

So at the time there was plenty of interesting unexplored stuff & it was quite exciting to introduce this to the UK. This was the raison d'être for Silverprint, a mantle inherited from the earlier Goldfinger. This had re-established Agfa B&W in the UK, but succumbed to the problems inherent in a one-product company. Silverprint carefully kept a much broader base of products. Regarded by the trade as a dealer somewhere near the lunatic fringe, nevertheless doors opened, & companies like Kodak & Ilford recognised there was room for smaller distributors pitched between the High St camera shop, and the big professional dealers like KJP.

But at the same time as distribution was improving, the arrival of digital was slaughtering the manufacturers. Now, post digital, there's greatly diminished diversity, but the levelling effect of the internet ensures high efficiency in delivery of what's left, although the profit margins in the distribution chain are cut to the bone.

So respect due to Clive Matlock in trying to 'perpetuate the dream' in the 3 years Silverprint was down The Elephant, maintaining the large retail frontage & providing gallery space, workshops, & a surplus of knowledgeable staff. It just doesn't work as a model any more. Like it or not we're all now locked into internet trading & the dealers must work on reduced overheads to compete & survive.

There are many benefits to the brave new world, but I recognised that it wasn't 'really my hammer' as Tony Hancock put it, which is why I bowed out 3 years ago.

Last edited by Martin Reed; 18th February 2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 21st February 2016, 03:38 PM
Friend

Quite frankly...........I wish you were still there Martin.
Old 21st February 2016, 06:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hall View Post
Quite frankly...........I wish you were still there Martin.
Hear Hear.
Richard
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:55 AM
New User

Sad to see them go. Good to know Process Supplies are out there too - hopefully they will get extra business out of this and it will encourage them to stay with a shop in London.
Old 24th February 2016, 03:55 PM
Friend

Process Supplies are completely committed to keeping their London (Clerkenwell) shop going, & as a few people have mentioned, they can hardly fail to pick up extra business as a result of the closure down at SE1.
I'm based in their place, working at present just to import the Foma materials, but who knows, there might be a few other things in the pipeline
Old 24th February 2016, 06:01 PM
Friend

I have to admit I placed a large order with Process Supplies last year because of your connection Martin. In all honesty I'd never considered using them although I bought an enlarger from them about 40 years ago, I may also have bought a De Vere LF camera at the same time

Ian
Old 25th February 2016, 09:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
Process Supplies are completely committed to keeping their London (Clerkenwell) shop going, & as a few people have mentioned, they can hardly fail to pick up extra business as a result of the closure down at SE1.
I'm based in their place, working at present just to import the Foma materials, but who knows, there might be a few other things in the pipeline

Martin,

Whatever there might be in the pipe-line I hope it happens, especially if you are involved. I am sure it would be much welcomed by those who can visit London as well as those (like myself) who live a long way away.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 25th February 2016, 11:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
I look forward to seeing more from you at Process Supplies, and the best of luck to you all there
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies