Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th January 2018, 02:51 PM
Friend

Like Mike O'Pray I use Kaspersky (since 1996) and I was amused to read that someone in Her Majesty's Government speaks of the risk of the probable Moscow connection. I simply avoid disclosing info that might be traced back to my bank on the internet.
From the posts above I did not get a clear idea of the distinction between HTTP:// and HTTPS://. Google is so well-behaved that I never need to type it in - I just start with WWW. ....
Old 6th January 2018, 05:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Like Mike O'Pray I use Kaspersky (since 1996) and I was amused to read that someone in Her Majesty's Government speaks of the risk of the probable Moscow connection. I simply avoid disclosing info that might be traced back to my bank on the internet.
From the posts above I did not get a clear idea of the distinction between HTTP:// and HTTPS://. Google is so well-behaved that I never need to type it in - I just start with WWW. ....
You are saying this with a bit of tongue in cheek are you not?

Google behaving itself........Google is the biggest harvester of public and private information the world has ever seen. It makes the old KGB file collection, look like a boy scouts stamp album!

As for Kaspersky, being based in the former USSR that should start bells ringing straight away. If anyone thinks they are squeaky clean, that must mean Vladimir Putin is the fairy at the top of the Xmas tree.

Even that buffoon Trump cannot get anywhere near to Mr Putin when it comes to subterfuge.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
With a HTTPS connection, everything between your computer and the website is encrypted in both directions, including your login, in a way that is effectively unbreakable within the lifetime of the universe. HTTP connections however are all in plain text that can be read by anyone sitting on the internet between you and the web site.

As for not disclosing stuff on the internet - I'm afraid it is a lot more complicated than that to keep your data safe. Antivirus software digs inself into the deepest recesses of your computer (it has to in order to do its job) - it would be trivial to send everything you ever typed or received on your computer to a third party - including all your account logins. Saying that, I have very strong doubts about Kaspersky being compromised - you can bet whatever you like that the other anti-virus vendors are constantly looking to see if that has happened to *any* of their competitors (as well as GCHQ etc).

Cheers, Bob.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:47 AM
Friend

Really adding the S to the site is about verifying the ownership of the address to try and stop criminal activity. It is also about making address more expensive penalizing those who will not spend the money.
All the S does is add a load of code to all the messages making them more difficult to intercept.
SSLs come in a number of different standard depending on what the site is used for. Obviously money transaction are most a risk and therefore cost hundreds of pounds to set up.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies