Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th February 2020, 12:11 PM
Friend

Default Processing 40+ years old colour film

I’ve just been sent a box of odds and ends by a photographer friend and amongst them found an exposed roll of Jessops colour print film. I’ve just spoken to him and he thinks it was probably shot in the late 1970s!

Is this a lost cause or does anyone have any suggestions for processing the film?

Thanks in advance
Old 8th February 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

Could be a case for B&W chemicals to get some kind of image, as there's bound to be a colour cast anyway. Someone with more experience might comment on contrast.
Old 8th February 2020, 02:27 PM
Friend

I’ve processed Kodachrome is Id11 to get b&w images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th February 2020, 10:20 AM
Friend

What do people think of semi-stand development in Rodinal as a possibility? That’s assuming it doesn’t crumble when I try to put it on the reel
Old 10th February 2020, 10:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
I’ve processed Kodachrome is Id11 to get b&w images

Do you remember the approximate time? I’m think of semi-stand to remove the need for precise timings. Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 10:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Could be a case for B&W chemicals to get some kind of image, as there's bound to be a colour cast anyway. Someone with more experience might comment on contrast.
Makes sense Michael, thank you.
Old 10th February 2020, 12:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
Do you remember the approximate time? I’m think of semi-stand to remove the need for precise timings. Thanks

11 minutes agitated every 30 seconds
Fix for 10 minutes agitated every minute

Old 10th February 2020, 12:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
11 minutes agitated every 30 seconds
Fix for 10 minutes agitated every minute

Thank you!
Old 10th February 2020, 01:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
What do people think of semi-stand development in Rodinal as a possibility? That’s assuming it doesn’t crumble when I try to put it on the reel
Stand or semi-stand in Rodinal, is definitely the way that I would do it. 6ml of Rodinal with the appropriate amount of water required, developing for an hour, is the amount of developer and length of time that I use, per film, when I still do it occasionally.

I (may of) wrote about a similar experience that I had a few years ago now, on this site.

Basically, a guy approached my current photo club with the same situation as yourself. As it turns out I was the only one in the club still doing darkroom work, so the film was offered to me, asking if I wanted to have a go with it

I developed it in Rodinal for an hour and there were images, but very faint ones, plus the orange cast.

In the end, I ended up printing them on grade 5, as best as I could. Then I had to scan and adjust them again in PS, to add more contrast. I then printed them out on my inkjet printer.

The guy was very happy and went on to contact the local paper, who run a story about them, although I never got a mention for all the work that I had done. Ho, hum.

But the end of the story is, that a family recognised the people in the pictures and so took receipt of my work. I never heard anything else after this...

So, give it a try and good luck!

Terry S
Old 10th February 2020, 01:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Stand or semi-stand in Rodinal, is definitely the way that I would do it. 6ml of Rodinal with the appropriate amount of water required, is the amount that I use, per film, when I still do it occasionally.

I (may of) wrote about a similar experience that I had a few years ago now, on this site.

Basically, a guy approached my current photo club with the same situation as yourself. As it turns out I was the only one in the club still doing darkroom work, so the film was offered to me, asking if I wanted to have a go with it

I developed it in Rodinal for an hour and there were images, but very faint ones, plus the orange cast.

In the end, I ended up printing them on grade 5, as best as I could. Then I had to scan and adjust them again in PS, to add more contrast. I then printed them out on my inkjet printer.

The guy was very happy and went on to contact the local paper, who run a story about them, although I never got a mention for all the work that I had done. Ho, hum.

But the end of the story is, that a family recognised the people in the pictures and so took receipt of my work. I never heard anything else after this...

So, give it a try and good luck!

Terry S
Thanks Terry, that’s given me the confidence to give it a go with semi-stand in Rodinal ... I shall report back!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies