Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2009, 07:15 PM
Friend

Default Mount border widths...

Just curious about the mount border width people use when framing.
For a 16x12 frame I would use 2 inches which gives a 12x8 inch image which is good for enlargements from 35mm film.

But for a bigger print size, say 18x12 inch image from 35mm, what border size would you use and why? Do you use a formula to calculate it or pick a standard frame size and work backwards or seek to minimise board wastage by working back from board sizes or just which way do you go about deciding on final mat sizing for framing.
Old 24th April 2009, 07:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
Just curious about the mount border width people use when framing.
For a 16x12 frame I would use 2 inches which gives a 12x8 inch image which is good for enlargements from 35mm film.

But for a bigger print size, say 18x12 inch image from 35mm, what border size would you use and why? Do you use a formula to calculate it or pick a standard frame size and work backwards or seek to minimise board wastage by working back from board sizes or just which way do you go about deciding on final mat sizing for framing.
I consider frame size in relation to the printed image size and would want a minimum 2 inch border in a 16x12 frame. As the frame size increases I would increase the border in proportion.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:05 PM
Friend

I should add that I want equal borders for the top and sides with a greater thickness at the bottom. I will generally crop the print to suit the proposed mounting size to achieve this.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:26 PM
Friend

Thats more or less what I do but I think the major decision is how it will be framed. i.e. off the shelf frames which means you have to crop print to suit the frame size otherwise you have to buy bespoke frames unless you are prepared to use unequal borders top and sides.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
Thats more or less what I do but I think the major decision is how it will be framed. i.e. off the shelf frames which means you have to crop print to suit the frame size otherwise you have to buy bespoke frames unless you are prepared to use unequal borders top and sides.
As with most things we do some degree of compromise is required.
Old 2nd July 2010, 04:39 PM
Friend

As a framer the trend seems to be thicker boarders. For instance for a 4 X 5 contact print I usually use a 13 X 15 mat.
Old 2nd July 2010, 04:56 PM
Friend

I normally print 9.5x12 and mount/mat them in 20x16 mount because like them that way, I think they look good, Richard
Old 2nd July 2010, 06:54 PM
Friend

I don't think you need a formula for this as it is down to personal preference . The only exceptions I can think of are when submitting for exhibitions, when one has to abide by what is required, or when submitting to a magazine, or such, where their requirements have to be met otherwise you may as well not bother sending your work in!

But when it comes to your own personal work - do what you like and what you think suits your images best.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th December 2012, 02:54 PM
Friend

I learned by watching others and how they did their mounting. The top and side borders I was always told need to be the same and the bottom border approx 25% wider. This gives the print a visible base and it just sits better.
Old 27th December 2012, 08:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The top and side borders I was always told need to be the same and the bottom border approx 25% wider. This gives the print a visible base and it just sits better.
I generally got for this too - seems to work nicely.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies