Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th October 2015, 07:11 PM
Friend

Default Got some agfa viradon off ebay

I recently got a new unopened bottle of viradon with the box and instructions off ebay
It cost me £18 with free postage,parcelforce wont deliver chemicals so it cost a bit more for the postage
The seller threw a free unopened 1litre sachet of speedibrews prussian blue toner in so will give that a go as well
No one even bidded on the viradon
Paddy
Old 20th October 2015, 08:39 PM
Friend

Lucky boy!
I really liked Viradon. Easy to use, and controllable by dilution. Don't know why it went away, if anybody knows?
Old 20th October 2015, 08:54 PM
Friend

Tony Worobiec devotes a chapter to it in his book Toning and Handcolouring and the prints all look very good especially the one of the car and the cafe.

The book is worth purchasing if you can. Not as extensive or scientific as Tim Rudman's Toning book but a very practical primer

P.S. Let us know how smelly it is when you get around to using it and shows us a print. Thanks

Mike
Old 20th October 2015, 10:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Tony Worobiec devotes a chapter to it in his book Toning and Handcolouring and the prints all look very good especially the one of the car and the cafe.

The book is worth purchasing if you can. Not as extensive or scientific as Tim Rudman's Toning book but a very practical primer

P.S. Let us know how smelly it is when you get around to using it and shows us a print. Thanks

Mike
I still have about a quarter of a bottle left from years ago (use that up first), should be still ok to use
This is the new viradon (without selinium) so it will stink like the last bottle, will have to tone outdoors this time
I have posted a kodak t8 post in the chemical section with a link on where to get some potassium sulphide to make your own brown toner
But i seen this on ebay and as you know "resistance is futile"
Paddy
Old 20th October 2015, 10:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Lucky boy!
I really liked Viradon. Easy to use, and controllable by dilution. Don't know why it went away, if anybody knows?
I think Agfa going bust didnt help, im still amazed no company has started
making and selling it like they have with rodinal and neutol wa
I dont think the formula is a big secret
Paddy
Old 20th October 2015, 10:10 PM
Friend

I have a few reels of ilford fp4 i have to develop that was taken in my modded holga
On one of the reels there is a couple of pictures i took of David chow in his back garden, when i was on one of his platinum/palladium courses a couple of years ago
I will print the picture on some 16x12 agfa mcc matt fb paper i have and tone it in viradon
I will try to post it on here
Paddy
Old 20th October 2015, 10:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I still have about a quarter of a bottle left from years ago (use that up first), should be still ok to use
This is the new viradon (without selinium) so it will stink like the last bottle, will have to tone outdoors this time
Paddy
I think you are saying that there is an "old" viradon which incorporates selenium and this reduces or eliminates the smell but the "new" viradon without selenium does not?

Have I got this right? How smelly is it at the "usual" dilutions? Is it so bad that outdoors is the only place?

Indoors in the darkroom with the windows open would not be acceptable to the nose and lungs?

Thanks

Mike
Old 21st October 2015, 07:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I think Agfa going bust didnt help, im still amazed no company has started
making and selling it like they have with rodinal and neutol wa
I dont think the formula is a big secret
Paddy
Maco / Rollei offered Viradon under their own brand until 2011. Moersch has several polysulfide toners in their portfolio. I have tried their MT4 Siena which is very similar to the original Agfa viradon toner (selenium + polysulfide).
Old 21st October 2015, 08:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Maco / Rollei offered Viradon under their own brand until 2011. Moersch has several polysulfide toners in their portfolio. I have tried their MT4 Siena which is very similar to the original Agfa viradon toner (selenium + polysulfide).
Thanks for that, i will consider the mt4 when i run out of viradon
Paddy
Old 21st October 2015, 08:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I think you are saying that there is an "old" viradon which incorporates selenium and this reduces or eliminates the smell but the "new" viradon without selenium does not?

Have I got this right? How smelly is it at the "usual" dilutions? Is it so bad that outdoors is the only place?

Indoors in the darkroom with the windows open would not be acceptable to the nose and lungs?

Thanks

Mike
It stinks at any dilution, a few years ago i used some viradon in the bathroom and after a few prints i had a headache and felt a bit sick
Wont be doing that again
Paddy
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies