Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th June 2016, 07:32 PM
Friend

Default HP5 in Perceptol question

Back in Motor City this weekend, and shot a few rolls of HP5 in 120 yesterday. Thinking that I would develop them in ID11 as the day started out overcast, I set my meter to 400. Well it turned out sunny and hot and most of the shots were in full sun. I'm thinking now that these would be better in Perceptol 1:1 or 1:2. Trouble is that Ilford's times are for max of ISO 320 for this combo - 18 min at 20 deg, 1:1. Looking at The Massive Dev Chart is no help - it gives a time of only 15 min at 1:1 for 400, or 3 min less for about 1/3 stop less exposure(?).

Does anyone happen to have a time for HP5 in Perecptol 1:1 or 1:2 at 400? If not, shall I just add a bit to the Ilford time for 320? Say, 10%? Failing that, I could just run them in ID11 at 1:3 rather than my usual 1:1, but I think Perceptol would suit the light better.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Svend
Old 12th June 2016, 10:58 PM
Friend

I have no answer, Svend as I have always set the speed to 320 for HP5+ in Perceptol 1+3. However if you want to try Perceptol then you have only underexposed by a third of a stop( I think) and it might be interesting to see what using the Ilford time for 320 gives you.

There may be no appreciable difference between 320 and 400and even if there is a difference I cannot see it being a disaster

Mike
Old 12th June 2016, 11:09 PM
Friend

HP5 at 400 EI in Perceptol isn't ideal, just use ID-11.

Ishoot HP5 at 400 EI but process in Pyrocat HD and the results are superb, Mike has seen quite a few prints

Ian
Old 13th June 2016, 04:03 AM
Friend

Hmmm...(rubs chin, scratches back of thinning scalp, takes another sip of Canada's finest)....Pyrocat, eh? Very tempting Ian. You know, the tonality would suit the scenes perfectly. But...but...I've never used it before. Not sure I would be at ease trying a new developer for these shots. Some unrepeatable stuff on those rolls. In an unfamiliar brew? Gee, that's asking a lot . OTOH, from what you all say about highlight control in Pyrocat, and some of the results I've seen in full sun conditons, this could be a great combo. Hmmm....(thinks)...

So, tell me: how reliable is this stuff? If I take the usual recipe, mix up a batch, and use the standard times for HP5, what are the odds of a briiliant success? Or even a modest one? (I may take that if I can get it)

Svend
Old 13th June 2016, 08:25 AM
Friend

Svend, I shoot HP5 LF (5x4) hand held in Turkey where normally it's always bright sunlight. I've been using Pyrocat HD for over 10 years now and it's very reliable.

However I would suggest using a developer you know as the shots are important, ID-11 at 1+2 perhaps, I never liked it a 1+3.

Ian
Old 13th June 2016, 09:15 AM
Friend

I would add a general observation in that you will need to have a total senior moment not to produce images on your negatives. You may not get the density of neg you are used to but you will be able to print them and they may need a little more work when do this. If they are really bad you maybe able to still recover them by scanning something I had to do some time back because I had a total melt down when I was developing a batch of neg's I could not get a decent print off them.

I understand your point of view that it is a leap to a certain extent into the dark something I do quit often with different film developers but in the main get good results.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th June 2016, 10:48 AM
Friend

If these are unrepeatable shots then I'd follow Ian's advice and develop in the stuff you know which is ID 11 at 1+1 or 1+2 as Ian recommends

Mike
Old 13th June 2016, 11:36 AM
Friend

Mike, Ian -- after further chin rubbing and head scratching, I come to the same conclusion. I really do have to go with what I know and has predictable outcome here. There are others who have a stake in these shots so I really can't afford to muck this up. A bit of a long story, but has to do with shooting at the Buffalo Soldiers Historical Center in Detroit -- they are a wonderful group of people, whom I was introduced to by my father-in-law who sees them regularly through his volunteer work in the inner city. Do a search on the Regiment's history - fascinating stuff. About half the frames from Saturday are from there.

That said, at some point I do want to try Pyrocat. Some of the results I see with that developer really are quite excellent, and have a unique signature look to them that would suit some of the urban shots in the city very well indeed. I will order the ingredients today and start some experiments on less important subject matter. The Detroit project is ongoing, and I will be back in a month or two for another round. By then I should have become acquainted with Pyrocat and will feel more comfortable going down that road.

In the meantime, ID-11 at 1+2 will have to do for these films, unless someone else jumps in here with times for Perceptol at EI400(?).

Best,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 13th June 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:17 PM
Friend

Hi Svend, I agree with Ian and Mike, use a developer that you are completely familer with for somthing really important,that way you are sure of the outcome, by all means experimint, we all do it, but not for something unrepeatable,
Richard
Old 13th June 2016, 01:21 PM
Friend

Another side advantage of using ID-11 with HP5 is that this is the same film-developer combo I used with these cameras at the previous Detroit outing -- my folders -- Franka Rolfix II and Agfa Isolette II. At that time both had light leaks, fixed since then (hopefully). Using HP5 and ID-11 now will allow me to do a nice before-after comparison of image quality after getting that sorted out. Should be interesting....

Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies