Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th September 2008, 08:02 AM
Friend

Default Vanishing Landscapes

This book features images of landscapes which are either already under threat or possible threat from climate change.

Includes photographs by Robert Adams, Josef Hoflehner, Michael Kenna, Jem Southam, Joel Sternfeld, Thomas Struth, Hiroshi Sugimoto and many others.

As well as some thought provoking photography there's a very interesting and somewhat worrying (if to be believed) interview with Hans Joachim Schelinhuber, director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.

Its a large book, 33cm x 30cm approx. Cover price is £35, but I got it direct from Amazon for £21 delivered.
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
This book features images of landscapes which are either already under threat or possible threat from climate change.

Includes photographs by Robert Adams, Josef Hoflehner, Michael Kenna, Jem Southam, Joel Sternfeld, Thomas Struth, Hiroshi Sugimoto and many others.

As well as some thought provoking photography there's a very interesting and somewhat worrying (if to be believed) interview with Hans Joachim Schelinhuber, director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.

Its a large book, 33cm x 30cm approx. Cover price is £35, but I got it direct from Amazon for £21 delivered.
Trevor, would you be as kind to give us a bit more detail on this book, i;e, whoever forwarded it, author or ISDN number, only there appears to be a few with a similar title on Amazon.

Does look like a fine book to own

Cheers

Stoo
Old 2nd October 2008, 03:25 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Hi Stoo,

I found this on Amazon. I presume it is the book Trevor refers to.

Product details
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Frances Lincoln Publishers Ltd (11 Sep 2008)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0711229287
ISBN-13: 978-0711229280
Product Dimensions: 32 x 29.5 x 2.5 cm

Bill
Old 2nd October 2008, 04:09 PM
Friend

This one?
Old 2nd October 2008, 05:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
That's the one.

Sorry guys I should have provided more information.
Old 5th October 2008, 09:23 AM
Friend

Thanks kindly for the extra info. Almost all of the books on my shelf are of monochrome work as this is mainly what inspires me, though some books are a must have. This looks like one of them, and at a reasonable price too.

Stoo
Old 5th October 2008, 04:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
Thanks kindly for the extra info. Almost all of the books on my shelf are of monochrome work as this is mainly what inspires me, though some books are a must have. This looks like one of them, and at a reasonable price too.

Stoo
Stoo, I would have to say this book is an excellent edition to anyone's photo library.

Like you the majority of my photo books are monochrome but occasionally I add the colour work of inspiring photographers like Jem Southam, Joel Sternfeld, Stephen Shore and of course no photo library would be complete without the work of William Eggleston

Trevor.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:50 PM
Friend

Mmm!, I can definately see an influence in you work from these photographers Trevor, or have you influenced them . Especially Eggleston's 'Southern Suite' and 'Troubled Waters' portfolios. I have to say that I would much prefer a 'Crone' on my wall than any of them. The colour, for me anyway, just gets in the way. I read with interest that the work of Jem Southam is done no justice on the computer monitor. Personally, from the three photographers that you mention, I can't imagine that his work would look good hanging anywhere!, IMOHO of course. Dull light, muted colours and un-organised chaos. O.K, I am being a bit unfair here. Some of his work is o.k, such as 'River Rother', Rye harbour, though, when viewing it I find myself yearning for a black and white image.

Just my outspoken thoughts. Sometimes I wish I would just shut up and keep my opinions to myself

Stoo
Old 6th October 2008, 02:32 PM
Friend

Stoo, Jem Southam gave a presentation at the Arena seminar this year and I must confess I enjoyed his presentation the most. It didn't please everyone, far from it some even walked out (which I personally think was rude and unnecessary). I have a couple of his books, 'Landscape Stories' and 'The Painter's Pool' which I enjoy very much. But generally I must agree with you, I much prefer b&w. I too feel colour can be a distraction particularly when it comes to unstanding and the representation of form.

"Sometimes I wish I would just shut up and keep my opinions to myself"

No, don't shut up, your opinions are valid as much as anyone else's opinions. Discussion, even if we don't agree with someones opinion, is an important path to progress and understanding.

Trevor.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies