Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default D-23 Film Developer

Water (52°C)...................... 750 ml
Metol................................. 7.5 grams
Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous)... 100 grams
Water to make.................... 1 litre

Can be used undiluted or diluted 1:3 for lower contrast
Old 24th November 2008, 09:13 PM
Friend

Barry For this photographic chemistry ignoramus, does this put D23 close to Perceptol and if so does it have the same speed reducing effect i.e. up to one stop undiluted or maybe as little as 1/3rd stop at 1:3.

What the keeping properties like? One litre undiluted is good for 4 x 35mm films in my Jobo tank and 4 films at my rate can take a while to expose and develop.

Thanks

Mike

P.S. Whatever happened to the ginger tom? Maybe the old lady with the pointy hat decided the spell had lasted long enough.

I never used to knock on doors and run away for that very reason. One such lady in every community and there's no need for ineffective ASBOs
Old 24th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Mike,

I can't give you a definitive answer yet as I'm just starting to experiment with this developer. Rumour has it that adding around 30 grams of Sodium Chloride to D23 is very close to Perceptol. It seems so simple, and I have read a lot of good comments about it, it must be worth a try? Shelf life? The chemicals are relatively cheap from Silverprint, so I'll mix up a fresh batch each time.

I'll publish some results when I've got some.

The Ginger Cat is alive, well and playful. The vet says he is geriatric but he doesn't know that
Old 25th November 2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator

It is almost the same as the first bath in the Stoeckler two-bath developer (10g metol + 100g sulphite) and that is supposed to last a long time. Anchell & Troop say it is essentially identical to fresh D-76 but calcium sulphite may form on the film - soluble in acid stop & fixing baths.
Old 26th November 2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It is almost the same as the first bath in the Stoeckler two-bath developer (10g metol + 100g sulphite) and that is supposed to last a long time. Anchell & Troop say it is essentially identical to fresh D-76 but calcium sulphite may form on the film - soluble in acid stop & fixing baths.
D23 can also be used as a 2 bath for contrast control of difficult negs.
Old 27th November 2008, 08:21 AM
Friend

It's always been my understanding that D23 on it;s own produces "gentle negs" but when used as part of a 2 bath is much more effective. Les will know as he's published stuff on this before in Darkroom User, B&W etc

I too really want to standardise on a film dev combo for 35mm and 120

I recently made up Barry Thornton's modified 2 bath and have been experimenting with times for delta 400.
5 minutes in each bath has led to denser than expected negs (35mm) so I cut the time to 3.5 mins last week.

I'll see how the change has affected granularity.
Old 27th November 2008, 07:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I've not used D23 (yet), but I do occasionally use Stoeckler's 2-bath. It will last year in a full, tightly sealed bottle. I plan on doing a few comparisons over the next few weeks so I'll let you know what I come up with.

Meanwhile the image at http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...&pictureid=394 was developed in Stoeckler's 2-bath.

Rob
Old 24th January 2009, 07:55 PM
Friend

I've just posted a scan of a print from my first film developed in D23. The lighting was quite soft, but there's still reasonable contrast. I think I still prefer the 'feel' of HP5+ in ID11, though.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...&pictureid=775

Rob
Old 24th January 2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Difficult to tell with one roll Rob. Its worth trying in different lighting situations. I'm doing a little experimenting with it and will post when I get some results.

Did you use Stock or Diluted?

Last edited by Barry; 24th January 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 25th January 2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

There are indications elsewhere that adding 30g/litre of Sodium Chloride to D23 makes this very similar to Ilford Perceptol. I may do some tests starting with 20g/litre. Useful if you have the raw chemicals but have run out of Perceptol, which is my usual brew.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies