Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th January 2011, 04:14 PM
Friend

Default What do you do with your prints?

This is obviously aimed at those of us that do this for pleasure as opposed to professionally.

I just wondered what members do with prints once they are finished. Do you hang them at home, give them to friends, store them in boxes, make albums or…………?

Just curious really

Ian
Old 14th January 2011, 04:31 PM
Friend

All of those things plus I show them at the East Midlands Monochrome Group and enter them into the FADU exhibition.
Old 14th January 2011, 04:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Marsh View Post
This is obviously aimed at those of us that do this for pleasure as opposed to professionally.

I just wondered what members do with prints once they are finished. Do you hang them at home, give them to friends, store them in boxes, make albums or…………?

Just curious really

Ian
All of the above, for my personal work, enter them in Fadu exhibition, and put some on the web. For my Professional work I try and sell them,Richard
Old 14th January 2011, 04:40 PM
Friend

Those I like best are hanging on the wall in our house till "better" (newer) ones will be there, the rest is stored in archival boxes for further use.

Some are scanned for my website, some have been sold. Some go to exhibitions.

MonoArt - fine photographs

Last edited by mono; 14th January 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 14th January 2011, 04:49 PM
Friend

Hi Ian, I tend to show them to two photographic groups (Mirage and Arena) I'm a member of plus I exhibit them at group exhibitions as and when. I also give talks to various photography groups that invite me along to talk about my work.

Occasionally I may write an article around a particular topic and use my photographs to illustrate it, but this is usually speculative as commissions seem a rarity for me these days - ah

Prints are mostly stored, mounted and unmounted, in portfolio boxes/cases.

I've always considered myself as an amateur and never a professional - perhaps it shows?

I just enjoy making and looking at prints - to me they're a thing of beauty.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th January 2011, 07:15 PM
Friend

Most of mine go into storage boxes after being scanned for the web or put into a Blurb book. Some get framed and put on Walls within the house. Unfortunately for every person who sees one of my real prints there are at least a hundred more who only get to look at the web version

It seems a shame to spend so much time and effort (and £££) making fine prints then hiding them away but I suppose this is an advantage too as I can pretty much make the images I want.

Steve
Old 14th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post

I've always considered myself as an amateur and never a professional - perhaps it shows?

It certainly does not show Trevor, there are many professionals (which only means you earn your main living from it) who could learn a great deal from your work, myself included.

Neil
Old 14th January 2011, 10:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
It certainly does not show Trevor, there are many professionals (which only means you earn your main living from it) who could learn a great deal from your work, myself included.

Neil
Kind of you to say that Neil, but I was showing some current work (very personal work and close to my heart) to some photographers recently and I think they would have been more excited if I was showing them wall paper.

I remember Robert Adams writing in his book, "To Make It Home" - 'Whatever power there is in the urban pictures is bound to the closeness with which they skirt banality. For a shot to be good - suggestive of more then just what it is - it has to come perilously near being bad, just a view of stuff.' - I have to take solace in this quote.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th January 2011, 10:44 PM
Friend

I know what you mean Trevor I had a similar experience myself last year when showing prints to camera club, they looked very uninspired.
Mind you I think I would be very worried if they did appeal to camera club these days.
JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 14th January 2011, 11:46 PM
Friend

Since I started to print small, many photos fit the albums now.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies