Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st March 2012, 05:17 PM
Friend

Default Kodak discontinues slide film

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...reversal-films

Old 1st March 2012, 05:24 PM
Friend

Pity for slide film users but I suppose it had to rationalise on product lines given its parlous financial state.

Two very similar Kodak threads on another site have reached over 100pages between them with a handful of posters providing the vast majority of the " debating "posts

One in particular with a Greek avatar has been predicting Kodak's demise all along. I await the "I told you so" post there very soon.

Doesn't of course mean he/she is right

Mike
Old 1st March 2012, 05:31 PM
Friend

The key phrase is I think:

What we have constantly told everyone is that we will continue to make film as long as there's profitable demand.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:44 PM
Friend

"One in particular with a Greek avatar has been predicting Kodak's demise all along"

What do the Greeks know about going bankrupt?
Old 1st March 2012, 05:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmAyrshire View Post
"One in particular with a Greek avatar has been predicting Kodak's demise all along"

What do the Greeks know about going bankrupt?

Maybe I should have added to my "doesn't make him/her right about Kodak's demise" that the avatar doesn't make him Greek either in the same way that I am pretty sure that "Harry Lime" isn't based in Vienna

Mike
Old 1st March 2012, 06:23 PM
Friend

As a habitual slidefilm user its sad to see Kodak's E6 go. To be honest I'm surprised they've kept it going so long. The problem being that for the last 20 years or so, despite having some good emulsions they've always played second fiddle to Fuji. I suspect only the loyal USA customer base has kept it going this long. Nothing Kodak have made has even equalled Velvia, let alone surpassed it.

Having said that, I did used to enjoy using EBX in 35mm form for travel and climbing shots. I never quite liked E100Vs as much in 120 form, but I still have a few rolls left and a 50 sheets box of 4x5 in the freezer.
Old 1st March 2012, 06:38 PM
Friend

I wish Kodak would hurry up and die. I'm getting really bored with all the posts about them going through their death throws.
Old 1st March 2012, 07:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I wish Kodak would hurry up and die. I'm getting really bored with all the posts about them going through their death throws.
I don't see how the funeral is going to be any more exciting.

p.s. I certainly don't wish them to die. It would have a huge negative impact on the silver-gelatine industry.

Last edited by Miha; 1st March 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 1st March 2012, 07:10 PM
Friend

Sad but Kodak has for a long time lagged far behind the Fuji emulsions in E6, and it may help Fuji to keep their emulsions alive.When I last shot slide, for a Library, a while ago now, most were reluctant to accept Kodak slide film in MF, and only really liked Kodachrome in 35ml, far preferring the Fuji films, especialy the Velvia,
Richard
Old 1st March 2012, 07:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
I don't see how the funeral is going to be any more exciting.

p.s. I certainly don't wish them to die. It would have a huge negative impact on the silver-gelatine industry.
Kodak built a massive new sate of the art film manufacturing plant not long ago. That plant will have big overheads. Every time they cut a product line it means the surviving products have to soak up the overhead costs. What they are doing is unsustainable IMO.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies