Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st March 2012, 07:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
SNIP: Sad but Kodak has for a long time lagged far behind the Fuji emulsions in E6...
By what criteria?
Old 1st March 2012, 07:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Nothing Kodak have made has even equalled Velvia, let alone surpassed it.
I would say that nothing Fuji have made has equalled Panther X, let alone surpassed it. It has bitten the dust too soon. Another foolish Kodak decision.
Old 1st March 2012, 07:55 PM
Friend

There is no point in running plant to make films on which they lose money, better by far to follow Harman's example and only run the coating plant when they need to.
The reason that they have ceased manufacture of these product is because there is insufficient demand for them, it's as simple as that.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:34 PM
Friend

I really like E100G, if I shoot slide film. I don't much anymore, but do some for projection. My favorite was Astia but Fuji killed that and I turned to E100G and liked it just about as much.

Fuji has excellent slide films but I find Provia too contrasty for many subjects, and Velvia WAY too contrasty as well as over saturated. Frankly I just never got along well with Velvia. I like E100VS better, but not that much better.

It's nothing to do with national loyalty. I use lots of Ilford films. I do use Kodak color neg though, because Fuji has nothing to equal the new Portras or Ektar.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:48 PM
Friend

For most people the days of home slide shows have gone. With digital and a 42 inch TV( not that unusual these days) you can give a form of slide show that is probably easier to set up.

Secondly printing from slides has become or will shortly become impossible due to discontinuation of materials and was anyway ridiculously expensive in the last few years against RA4 prints from colour negs which have been getting better.

In commercial profit terms it isn't clear to me why even Fuji can sustain the production of slide film. Nice that they can but the long term future for slide film must remain doubtful unless there are areas where slide is truly the king of film.

Does anyone know which areas they are?

Mike
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:41 AM
Friend

I think some advertising is still shot on transparencies but it's a small minority.

It's not "impossible" to print from slides, just harder - internegatives can still be made. But it's an extra step and an extra complication. The best way (heresy here maybe but true) to make prints from slides yourself is to simply scan and output as inkjet. The best way to get them made is via Lightjet or equivalent, where they will be scanned automatically then "written" to RA4 paper using lasers.

Sadly, I agree. I like projecting slides and I don't think even a $2000 LED big screen TV can equal my old Kodak Medalist projector and cheap screen for pure quality, but it sure is easier.

There hasn't been a lot of reason to shoot slides since color neg films surpassed E6, which I'd peg to have happened in the early to mid 90s. Well, except Kodachrome - that was reason enough to shoot slides but of course it's gone already.
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
There hasn't been a lot of reason to shoot slides since color neg films surpassed E6, which I'd peg to have happened in the early to mid 90s.
I think people who print to Ilfochrome might disagree and those who like projection.
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:51 AM
Friend

Projection I agree - sort of. I shoot for it some myself but given the prevalence (at least in the US; I'm not sure of the market penetration in other places) of big screen TVs that's now the preferred medium of the vast majority for "slide shows." The rest of us can't begin to be enough demand. Ilfochrome was discontinued as of a few months ago. You may still be able to get some of the last run if you're willing to pay the price, but that very discontinuation is one of the main reasons I say there isn't that much reason to shoot it anymore.
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:07 AM
Friend

the ilford website still lists ilfochrome.

http://www.ilford.com/en/products/ilfochrome/clm1k.asp

very often products cease in specific markets but not world wide. It is dependant on the importer and demand in that one region. Remember the EU is a single market of over 600 million which is much bigger than the North America market. So are you sure production has ceased or has the US importer just told people they can't get it?
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:24 AM
Friend

The Ilford web site is outdated:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...me-update.html

http://noringcircus.blogspot.com/201...otography.html

I don't read German but for those who do:

http://www.aphog.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19218

Ilford UK have nothing to do with Ilfochrome and haven't since the Harman/Ilford events. Ilfochrome has been a Swiss product of a different company in all but name.

From the above links:

Dear Customer,
ILFOCHROME Classic has been a flagship brand within the ILFORD range of products for well over forty years. The importance of this range is underlined by the fact that ILFORD has continued to manufacture this product even though overall demand has decreased significantly over the last few years. The reduction in volume has led to higher production costs that have been further exacerbated by the dramatic increase in the cost of silver.
Unfortunately, the combination of low demand and higher raw material and production costs has left us no alternative but to discontinue the ILFOCHROME CLASSIC materials and related P3/P3X chemistry.
The affected products are:
ILFOCHROME CLASSIC
CLEAR DISPLAY FILM – CC.F7
TRANSLUCENT DISPLAY FILM – CT.F7
DELUXE GLOSSY MEDIUM CONTRAST – CLM.1K DELUXE GLOSSY NORMAL CONTRAST – CPS.1K
We understand the importance of these products to you and your business, and therefore, if there is sufficient demand, we are proposing a final production. We would like to offer you the opportunity to make a final purchase with the following conditions:
• An official purchase order will need to be placed by 30thNovember 2011.
• Will hold the pre-ordered rolls in storage until June 2013.
• ILFORD Payments for the order can be made in monthly installments.
As indicated, ILFORD has fully absorbed the high raw material and production and unfortunately we are unable to do this for the final production. Therefore, we will need to increase our supply price to you by 30% However, this price will be held
between now and June 2013 and covers all storage and inventory costs.
We would like to thank you for your understanding with this situation and if you have any questions or need any further information, please contact
Mr. Christian Neumann (Tel: +41 26 435 7504)
We look forward to continue serving you in the future Yours sincerely
Paul Willems CEO

Last edited by Roger Cole; 2nd March 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies