Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd August 2009, 04:39 PM
Friend

While I very much realise the important of craft in photography, I'm not sure that a photograph is made "worthwhile" simply by being made in a darkroom. Your customers are not subjecting their opinions to a sufficiently rigorous analysis...

Tom
Old 22nd August 2009, 07:33 PM
Friend

I also get a lot of repeat business,my customers like what I take, I don't think it's just the fact that I do things the traditional way,I also get a lot of commissions,I was recently commiisioned to do the wall art for a new restaruant ,on the strength of what the owners had seen, not just film/Darkroom, but the fact that my prints are traditional helps,my customers say that they prefer to buy traditionly made stuff as the quality shines though,their words not mine,Richard
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:07 PM
Friend

Richard,

I understand your comments. But disagree with the general attitude that "anyone can do that digital stuff".

Tom
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:13 PM
Friend

Tom I tend to agree with you, I don't do any digital and never have, but there are at least 2 photographers over here, both good friends of mine,and they set up stalls at many events over here,some of which either my wife, or myself also set up a stall, and some I attend wit my classic car,as the photographer for the Classic car club, and when we are selling my photographs outsell theres, and they tell me that the public very often, when browsing the prints,tell them that they have digital cameras, and don't see why they should pay $40 or $50 for a print when they can take them themselves, even with the compact digi cameras, where people seem to think,and say, that you need a "special" camera to take the type of photos I do, it just seem's to be the public's general idea,But I am not complaining if they pay a premium for their percieved ideas about what they can do and what I do,It maybe just something that happens in Jersey, but certainly the continatal visitors to jersey seem to prefer to buy what They call Real photos,Maybe the situation is different over where you are,But I don't understand the attitude,but it exists here,and I would say that I have seen some good work done by my friends, it just does'nt sell over here as "Fine art" like dark room work does,Richard
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:43 PM
Friend

Help. I have read through the posts, and whilst I sell none of my photos/images (non dodgital here) I do sell what I do for my day job i.e litho printer. For me, and other opinions are available, it is always the quality of the relationship with the client that helps to sell. Whether the product is right/wrong, good/bad, accurate/inaccurate, high quality/c**p almost seems irrelevant. If I can get on with the client (misinformed, arrogant, complete t***er or someone I feel totally inadequate next to) I can sell them a pile of steaming doo-doo. Not that I like to, but if I am selling it's their opinion that counts. And they still come back for more. In this material world I (and other opinions are available) have found its not the product. It's the customers reaction to the product, and if the customer likes the seller, he will feel better about the product. One rule, and one rule only. Never lie.
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:45 PM
Friend

Oops. Posted thread before I finished. Sorry. To complete, for me, I have to build a relationship with the buyer, sometimes quickly, and and that may turn into a long term thing.... Thoughts?
Old 2nd September 2009, 05:55 PM
Friend

As I learned many years ago when I was involved with a small buisiness - number one objective is to look after your customers and keep them happy - if you do that they will keep coming back. I always tried to remember it is far easier to lose them than find new ones. They are certainly not obliged to push their hard earned cash in your direction.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 8th April 2010, 09:46 PM
Friend

Interesting turn this thread is now taking. All I can add is that my print sales are still low but silver and digital are now selling in equal numbers. Only problem is - I've now lost my darkroom. It looks like I will be unable to put one together for quite a while. So I guess my carefully labeled hand made darkroom prints will now be in short supply for a while!

Mark
Old 16th September 2013, 08:12 PM
Friend

I liked the "lollypop" comment. I showed some film/darkroom prints in a gallery recently and they did not fly off the walls. Some corny digital stuff did, though. I feel it is their loss , not mine.
Old 19th September 2013, 09:05 AM
Friend

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Taylor View Post
That is very interesting. Are all your digital prints colour and your film prints B&W? Maybe your partner has a point, as printmakers, we do tend to put a lot into obtaining a beautiful print and may sacrifice the content. One of my images I am very fond of is in an album here and on my site captioned, Snow, Rusland Heights. I like it very much but when I asked my wife what she thought she was not impressed. She asked me why I liked it and I said, look at the detail. I love the tones, the contrast between the white snow and the blacks in the shadows. Yes, she said but I wouldn't want to hang it on the wall. I think the public likes instantly satisfying images, drama, subjects that are surprising or unusually beautiful, like a sunset (colour). Lewis Baltz called these sort of images "lollypops". Thanks to our photographic education, formal or learned through books, we have different taste to the public. I do think, though, that is changing. I meet people now who seem to get more photography than they used to.
Steven

I know I liked some of your prints of trees Steven, but the missus chose to buy Wast Water - lovely print but more "traditional" view. Guess we need to "kill our darlings" at times, but if we didn't experiment and explore we might as well give up, even if no-one buys our work yet.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies