Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2015, 01:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Been looking at going to an LED light source for some time now and I'll most probably get the Heiland system for my 5x4 but still intend to continue to use Ilford MG filters.
This is not because I'm worried bulb shortages in future, I want to get shot of fans as the noise drives me mad, also I find the bulbs go off colour very quickly and constantly changing them.
Not an insignificant amount of cash though!!!!!!
J
Just a thought. If you don't like the fan noise, have you tried using a lower Wattage bulb e.g. 100W instead of 240/250W or whatever you normally use? They should have the same colour balance.

I use an LPL 7451 enlarger designed to take a 240 W, 24 V bulb but I fitted it with a 100 W 12 V bulb, I don't use the fan and accept the 1 stop drop in illumination. Since I mainly print 6x6 and 5x4 negs only up to 16 x 12 my magnification requirements are not so great, so I can cope with the 1 stop drop.
Old 11th March 2015, 08:39 PM
Friend

Adrian,
Thanks for the idea but that's not for me as normaly stop down below f11 and my existing head uses 2x 250w bulbs. I also find these bulbs do
deteriorate very quickly, that's not good for consistent results.
Anyway it's sorted now I've ordered a Heiland LED Cold light system from Germany, 5 week wait though.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 15th May 2015, 12:58 PM
Friend

This thread had me a bit worried so I went and purchased several spare A1 bulbs for my enlarger. However, doing a bit more digging it seems it may not be as bad as all that, at least for enlargers which us an A1 or a similar bulb. The ban, as far as I can tell, is on non-directional halogen lighting. Bulbs with a reflector that directs the light are not affected.

This means household spotlights are also probably unaffected, although I would certainly be replacing those with LEDs now.

I'd be happy to switch to LED lighting for the enlarger too if there was a suitable replacement.
Old 15th May 2015, 03:05 PM
Friend

where are these bulbs made ,china in not in the EU and if made there they will still be making for other country's also not in the EU..just wondering I could be wrong ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 16th May 2015, 08:36 AM
Friend

Probably the photographic requirement for built-in-reflector halogen bulbs is very small, & their use in enlarger heads was because that bulb was available in the first place. Just trawled up a source from a DJ supplies site, how does 4.99 sound?

24v 250w A1215 Lamp Unbranded ELC
An Unbranded 24v 250w ELC Dichroic Lamp. Fits Most Popular Disco Lights. We have solds 1000s of these lamps with no problems in performance. In most cases the only difference is the price compared to a branded lamp. AKA A1\259 Our price: £4.99

So photo use is probably tip of the iceberg, it seems unlikely that all users of halogen bulbs will have to migrate, as the industrial use of the main technical halogen bulbs will be extensive.

Last edited by Martin Reed; 16th May 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies