Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th May 2019, 09:04 PM
Friend

Default Analyser Pro probe mishap!

I was printing earlier this evening and dropped the Analyser Prob probe. It doesn't seem to be at it's best now giving odd readings, etc. There's also something rattling about inside. Does anyone know if there are any "user fixable" parts inside? A new one costs £70 and it would seem there's nothing to lose having a poke around. Not sure how to get inside the case as it's not screwed together. Presumably it just prises apart? Could anyone who's been there and done it give me some guidance?
Old 4th May 2019, 10:04 PM
Friend

Hello, there. Looks like the analyzer pro shares the probe with the zonemaster II. If that's the case the probe case is made of two half shells held together by plastic tabs by pressure. At both the longest sides you should see two small grooves. Gently prying at one side with a flat screwdriver should open it, or even pressing the two halves with the thumbs might suffice. Regarding the inside,if my memory serves me, there is only one part that might have come lose, which is a small clear plastic over the sensor. This is an easy fix with a tiny drop of Loctite type glue to replace it on the shell. Other than that there is the gray button cap, but that you should see from the outside if it's come out of place. Then the supports the board is screwed to might have snapped and this might also be repairable with a drop of glue. The erratic behavior I'm afraid is an electric problem. On my zonemaster I had the cable interrupted just where it comes out of the case. That is a bit more laborious to fix.You will need a soldering iron and maybe a multimeter.
I hope I've been of some help.

Cheers, M.
Old 4th May 2019, 10:17 PM
Friend

Superb, Marty. Just what I was looking for. Thanks very much. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I get lucky.

Bruce
Old 5th May 2019, 09:05 AM
Friend

As Marty says, probe is easy to open, with regards to erractic readings, same thing happened to me a few years ago, cable became loose and I had to push the cable into the probe to get a reading att all, eventually it failed and I contacted RH's Dr Ross, he was still running RH and sent the probe back to him, he replaced the cable and checked it over for the grand sum of IIRC £25, it might be worth contacting SDS, who now make the RH equipmenet, to see if they can help
Richard
Old 5th May 2019, 09:41 AM
Friend

As Marty has said, the most likely thing is the IR filter has come loose; it can be re-fixed to the top half of the case (over the sensing aperture) using either a "superglue" or hot-melt adhesive. Be careful not to get any adhesive on the surface of the glass and, ideally, don't get fingerprints on it either! The filter is there to remove infra-red light which would otherwise interfere with measurements and cause errors and/or erratic readings.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 5th May 2019, 08:22 PM
Friend

Thanks both Richards. It was indeed the IR filter that was loose. I kept it clean by only using a pair of tweezers to handle it but the only glue I had was Araldite. Hopefully that will be OK - it certainly shouldn’t come loose again in a hurry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th May 2019, 08:27 PM
Friend

Richard, I do hope you will be sure to outlive all of us so we can continue to rely on you for help and advice.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies