Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
An easy way to develop sheet film
Alan Clark
Alan Clark
28th December 2009
The simplest and cheapest method of developing 5 x 4 sheet film is in an open dish using the "shuffle" method. Its drawback is that it is not easy to load the sheets of film, with wet hands, one at a time, into a pre-bath of water. It also requires some skill to avoid damaging the film...
By richardw on 12th March 2014, 02:32 PM

Here is how to make the Paterson Orbital bombproof!

http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

richard
By Alan Clark on 12th March 2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
Here is how to make the Paterson Orbital bombproof!

http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

richard
I think his method of lifting the edges an inch is asking for trouble and can lead to uneven development round the edges caused by developer bouncing off the sides of the tray.
This is something I should have emphasised more in my original article, though I did say the agitation should be gentle.
To be clear about this, when I use a tray as described in the article, and when I use a Paterson Orbital, I lift the corners by the absolute minimum amount I can manage, i.e. no more than a few millimetres. After gently lifting one corner like this I move straight to another corner, lifting sucessive corners in a random fashion. The objective is to get the developer to move very gently. That way you get even development.

Alan
By richardw on 13th March 2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I think his method of lifting the edges an inch is asking for trouble and can lead to uneven development round the edges caused by developer bouncing off the sides of the tray.
This is something I should have emphasised more in my original article, though I did say the agitation should be gentle.
To be clear about this, when I use a tray as described in the article, and when I use a Paterson Orbital, I lift the corners by the absolute minimum amount I can manage, i.e. no more than a few millimetres. After gently lifting one corner like this I move straight to another corner, lifting sucessive corners in a random fashion. The objective is to get the developer to move very gently. That way you get even development.

Alan
Hmmm... It hasn't happened to me yet Alan, but I do use 1:100 and 1:500 working solutions of my favourite developers. I also pre-soak for 5 minutes in water before going on to developing. The lift and put down isn't violent or quick, so maybe that is why I get no uneven development?

richard
By Alan Clark on 13th March 2014, 05:35 PM

Richard,as you are getting even development you will no doubt stick to what you are doing as it is obviously working for you. But if anyone is getting uneven development along an edge of the sheet of film adjacent to the outside of the container, then very gentle agitation is worth a try.

Alan
By richardw on 13th March 2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Richard,as you are getting even development you will no doubt stick to what you are doing as it is obviously working for you. But if anyone is getting uneven development along an edge of the sheet of film adjacent to the outside of the container, then very gentle agitation is worth a try.

Alan
Good tip.

richard
By Alan Clark on 14th March 2014, 12:17 PM

Richard, I notice you list angling as your main interest. I used to live not too far from you and used to fish the Dove a lot. Happy days!

Alan
By richardw on 14th March 2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Richard, I notice you list angling as your main interest. I used to live not too far from you and used to fish the Dove a lot. Happy days!

Alan
I moved here from Sheffield to be on the waterside... The Dove can be a lovely river, it is only twenty minutes away over in the next valley from my "mother" river, the Derbyshire Wye.

You might enjoy this blog http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy days indeed...

richard
By Alan Clark on 14th March 2014, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the link Richard. What an interesting site; complete with black and white photographs too. I take it you are "Regular Rod". It's the ideal thing to read through as I await the start of the trout season. (All those non-fishing types on FADU don't know what they're missing!)

Alan
By Michael on 14th March 2014, 08:14 PM

Richard - This isn't the only thread that refers to the Orbital: there are a couple that started more recently and you can easily Search for them.
By Mark J on 20th January 2024, 06:43 PM

The divided dish has been a game-changed for me, when using Pyro developer.
I just made a small one so far, for two-off 5x7" sheets. I drilled the dish and epoxied plastic bolts through from below, for a little more sturdiness. Easy to use when wearing rubber gloves, and no sign of flow-marks on negs as far as I can see ( the 5x7 sheets can move around a little, relative to the pegs, which helps) .
Next step - a bigger dish for 4-off.

Thanks Alan !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dev_tray_2sheets.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	4922  
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search