Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th December 2008, 10:37 PM
Friend

Default Dimples, Indents, Scuffs, Print Repair

It's interesting what Les wrote in the Steaming Prints thread about steaming prints to smooth out some defects. I'll have to try that on some unmounted prints and maybe even mounted prints if my usual technique does not work. The reason I started a new thread is because I wanted to share and learn info on print repairing. Ryan McIntosh and Kev Saitta from over at APUG and years at PhotoNet came to my house one time after we shot at Point Lobos years ago, hung out and Ryan showed me that for dry-press mounted prints that have mysteriously been dimpled or line indented one can remove many indents by swelling the emuslion by lightly dabbing them with distilled water from a VERY fine watercolor paintbush. Set to dry face-up and in a few hours - Magic! Man, what a great tip that was... I've since vowed to where a knit nylon glove on my lefthand throughout the mounting process because I realized that it was most often the corners of my fingernails that was making the lines. Now, I've tried the same technique on UNmounted prints, but the swelling does not recede as uniformly as with the heat glued back of a press mounted print... So the steaming technique might work great for loose, unmounted prints or maybe mounted ones when the dabbing is not enough... Any other cool print repair tips out there?
Old 15th December 2008, 11:03 PM
Administrator

That's an interesting tip Victor. I have thrown away many prints with defects due to small paper cuttings accidently getting into the press. When it happens again I will try your tip. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:26 PM
Friend

Victor, "repair" of old prints is one area on which I'd like to have a source of information. People keep prints and throw the vital seedcorn away i.e. the neg! By the time nostalgia prompts them to think of getting fresh prints from old and battered prints they are directed to PS rather than a fresh neg taken of a reasonably restored print. Once you can get a good neg of a reasonably restored print then you have the means of producing great prints forever.

Mike
Old 16th December 2008, 03:08 PM
Friend

It's a technique I use all too often, which probably shows up how careless I am. Sometimes I have to repeat the wetting / drying cycle several times, but with patience dents can be removed and prints salvaged.
Thanks for publishing the tip Victor, sometimes we do things like this without realising that others may not know about them, but I guess that's why this forum exists.
Old 16th December 2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
<snip> ... sometimes we do things like this without realising that others may not know about them, but I guess that's why this forum exists.
Like me for instance!

That makes three new things I have learnt his year

The other two were humility and modesty...

Old 16th December 2008, 07:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Like me for instance!

That makes three new things I have learnt his year

The other two were humility and modesty...

And some things are easily forgotton.
Old 16th December 2008, 08:58 PM
Friend

A friend used to polish his FB glossy silver gelatine prints with a metal polish. I don't know what metal polish he used but it gave his prints a wonderful sheen

I haven't gone this far, I polish my glossy FB prints with a shammy leather block. This not only removes dust and finger marks but also enhances the gloss.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 17th December 2008, 10:04 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
A friend used to polish his FB glossy silver gelatine prints with a metal polish. I don't know what metal polish he used but it gave his prints a wonderful sheen

I haven't gone this far, I polish my glossy FB prints with a shammy leather block. This not only removes dust and finger marks but also enhances the gloss.

Well I never, where do you buy them Trevor?
Old 17th December 2008, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bartram View Post
Well I never, where do you buy them Trevor?
Andrew, I bought mine in Halfords. They are approx. 12x8x4cm in size. Make sure you get the real shammy leather ones which are really soft.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 17th December 2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

I have heard of people using Renaissance Wax, which is allegedly archival (acid-free), to polish prints but I've never seen the results.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies