Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th October 2014, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default studio flash

I have been buying some second hand cheep studio flashes the first one I got was a Courtenay solaflash 1250 , I read on several websites that this make was no good ,very under powered and would not work with pocket wizards , as the flashes are weird around the wrong way ,so looking on ebay there are a lot of these flashes for sale .I have been playing with the solaflash 1250 and it works fine I am so pleased with it I have bought two more, 2000 kit ,I know that they are old and the company dose not make them anymore but I don't use them professionally so I hope that they last me out ,and the problem with the pocket wizard all you have to do is don't push the jack plug in all the way its a stereo jack plug that is going into a mono socket and it works fine half way in .
the trouble with all this gear is my better half keeps on saying where are you gonna put all this gear that you keep on buying ,so fare I haven't been able to answer that question..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 18th October 2014, 05:15 AM
Friend

Hi Paul
I know nothing about using flash but a few years ago I bought 2 Jessops 280AF flash units with a Jessops mini cell slave unit and a 2 arm bracket that fixes to a tripod this was all purchased with the intention to do studio macro work, as this never happened I now have had this stuff taking up space they are unused in original packing if they are any use to you maybe we could come to an arrangement for you to recycle them.
pm me if you are interested.
Richard
Old 18th October 2014, 07:40 AM
Friend

I have a Courtenay flash meter,when I first tried using it plugged into my Elinchroms wouldn't trip them. A friend told me that Courtenay have the DC polarity reversed compared to other makes. It works fine on open flash.
Old 18th October 2014, 09:33 AM
Friend

what I have found with jack plugs is mono has two points of contact and stereo has three so if you put a stereo jack plug in a mono socket only two of the points will contact , if you pull the plug out a bit the first and the second point will contact with the second and third contact . I had the same problem with my enlarger timer and my foot switch the timer has a stereo jack socket and the foot switch has a mono ,so all I had to do was pull the jack plug out a bit it all depends on where the wires have soldered on the stereo jack or socket, because all these things are, is a switch that is connecting two wires together .
now I have three flash heads I am happy mucking about with and the modeling lights are very helpful ,if you bugger up a shot ie two much light on one side of a face and not enough light on the other you can call it a moody shot, because it always looks good in black and white .
I have got to learn to spell cheap or is it cheep ....

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies