Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th September 2018, 08:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
By Multicoated do you mean coated on both sides or is there more to it than that?

Thanks
David
Multicoated filters means there are multiple coats of anti-reflection material on each side of the filter or lens.

You can get single coated filters - but they are not common - or significantly cheaper than multicoated ones.

Single coated filters get 90% ish of the flare.

Multicoated filters get 99% ish of the flare.

So there is a difference and multicoated is better but the biggest jump is from uncoated to single coated.

A tip for looking after your coated filters and lenses (multicoated or otherwise) - the fluorine coating material is water soluble - so don't breath on your lens and then wipe off the moisture - you are slowly wiping off the coating.

Personally, I dust my filters and lenses with Lens Pen bush and never put my sticky fingers anywhere near the glass surfaces.

Martin
Old 5th September 2018, 10:18 PM
Friend

Do you have a source, Martin, for multicoating being water soluble? I’d be interested to read it. Breathing on a lens or filter has long been advocated by photographic authors and approved lens cleaning fluids often have a high distilled water content. Have we all been slowly reducing them to single coated or even uncoated status? Surely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th September 2018, 12:57 PM
New User

Default Hoya is cheap and good quality

Hoya is a decent make and seems good quality, ive had this UVc filter for 2 years and its been great.

I bought from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-------------------------

Mark Johnstone Photography https://markjohnstonephotography.com
Old 6th September 2018, 04:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Do you have a source, Martin, for multicoating being water soluble? I’d be interested to read it. Breathing on a lens or filter has long been advocated by photographic authors and approved lens cleaning fluids often have a high distilled water content. Have we all been slowly reducing them to single coated or even uncoated status? Surely not.

Hi Brock

I was told it by a Zeiss rep at a photo show.

He didn't recommend lens cleaning fluid either and I don't think any of the lens manufacturers do either.

And just because we have all being doing it for a long time doesn't take it right.

Its up to you though.

Martin
Old 6th September 2018, 10:45 PM
Friend

I just did a quick Google search and it revealed that not only does Zeiss market its own lens cleaning fluids but it also recommends that all spectacle lenses - which would include multi-coated - should be washed in running water to clean them. Maybe the Zeiss rep had had too much exposure to the fumes from the lens cleaning fluid.

Old 20th September 2018, 05:22 PM
Friend

Are there filters specifically designed for digital or, vice versa, for silver halide/gelatine? I recently heard a salesman in a camera shop assure a customer that he should upgrade his early Nikkors to the latest spec (which share the same mount), explaining that film is matt whereas a sensor is shiny, requiring a different shape at the rear element.

I remember a range (were they by Pentax?) of domed filters, introduced in the sixties, claiming to avoid reflections at the front element. On tracing rays crudely on paper, it seemed to make sense at the time. It certainly works on spectacle lenses!
Old 24th September 2018, 08:59 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I recently heard a salesman in a camera shop assure a customer that he should upgrade his early Nikkors to the latest spec (which share the same mount), explaining that film is matt whereas a sensor is shiny, requiring a different shape at the rear element.
I understood (I do not remember the source) that there were differences between film and digital sensors that required different design in the lenses but don't remember why. I now think that it was more likely to be the camera/lens manufacturers and suppliers wanting to transfer your money from your bank account to theirs which is and was their main function. I imagine the same applies to filters which is really the subject of this thread.
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 24th September 2018 at 09:02 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies