Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th October 2017, 11:44 AM
Friend

Default do you have any unused masking frames?

I tutor film photography in a Birmingham senior school.

One of the schools in our trust is just reopening its darkroom after five years of disuse, and we have been cleaning and checking the enlargers, trying to get it working again with minimal expenditure (as education budgets are shrinking, like muany others in the public sectro, as we all know!).

We are short of three masking frames for 10x8 or (even better) 8x12. Does anyone have any unused ones (in good working order) of these that they would be generous enough to donate and post to us? If so please send them FAO Art Dept, King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls, Rose Hill Road, Birmingham B21 9AR

Many thanks

Dave Healey
Old 25th October 2017, 07:46 PM
Friend

sorry I cannot help but good luck

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th October 2017, 07:19 AM
Friend

I might have a 10x8 enlarger easel you can have, I'll try and look in the next two or three days, I can't remember what condition it's in.

A trip to Wolverhampton Camera Fair (26th Nov) might be a good idea if you can't get what you need. I know one seller who always has darkoom stuff, but there's often more elsewhere.

Ian
Old 26th October 2017, 12:56 PM
Friend

Many thanks. Dave
Old 31st October 2017, 11:34 AM
Friend

I have today posted to you a 10 x 12 masking frame. It is not perfect but pretty functional. Hope it helps.
Richard
Old 31st October 2017, 09:05 PM
Friend

Most kind of you: thank you. Our darkroom is taking shape...my art teacher colleagues have just shot their first film so they are about to process it.

Dave
Old 4th November 2017, 05:43 PM
Friend

I can't help with hardware, but here's a bit of hard-won advice. I taught darkroom technique to sixth-formers a year ago. I negotiated a six-week syllabus, one day per week, with the school, with very limited resources. The schedule seemed realistic but I overlooked one important detail: the darkrooms were not fully light-tight, so we had to use the three available changing bags. With nine students, three changing bags and four Paterson spirals/tanks, how many students could load and process their film in a two-hour lesson? The answer was disappointing. It would have been better for me to load the spirals and transfer to tanks, because several students got stuck and therefore didn't have negatives to print during the next lesson, a week later. This was a shame because there was enormous enthusiasm.
Old 5th November 2017, 07:47 PM
Friend

Thanks...the other school's darkroom works now but it has presented a steep learning curve to do it in the timescale! Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies