Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th March 2020, 12:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
For me John I find the MG5 print too severe or contrasty and I feel a person would get tired at looking at it. Going back to the MG4 print is a relief to my vision. Then I think perhaps a little longer exposure would add more impact to it.
It's said that grade for grade, the newer paper is slightly more contrasty.

So maybe you need to print 1/2 to 1 full f-stop lower than you usually would, with the new MGV, Vincent?

I for one (think I) like a tiny bit of punch in my prints, so after a bit more use, I will see.

(At the moment) I have some Kentmere RC MG, Ilford FB MG Matt and some Art 300 paper to fall back on if I find it the same as you Vincent.

Terry S

P.S. Well done for the measuring John.
Old 26th March 2020, 04:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
It's said that grade for grade, the newer paper is slightly more contrasty.

So maybe you need to print 1/2 to 1 full f-stop lower than you usually would, with the new MGV, Vincent?

I for one (think I) like a tiny bit of punch in my prints, so after a bit more use, I will see.

(At the moment) I have some Kentmere RC MG, Ilford FB MG Matt and some Art 300 paper to fall back on if I find it the same as you Vincent.

Terry S

The closest I can find to compare with the new MG5 is the original KentmereRC paper. I have the remnants of a box of 50 fibre Kentmere glossy and this is similar, but I actually prefer the Ilford RC. This is the first RC paper that I actually like .
Old 26th March 2020, 04:06 PM
Friend

Default Mg5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
For me John I find the MG5 print too severe or contrasty and I feel a person would get tired at looking at it. Going back to the MG4 print is a relief to my vision. Then I think perhaps a little longer exposure would add more impact to it.
The biggest bonus for me is the fact that the new Ilford paper is faster than the old by about 20%, not a lot I know but for a large print which may take 100 seconds with MG4 you now will only have to use 80 seconds.

As for the apparent contrast, you can always use a grade softer if you wish, you are not bound to use a hard filter.
Old 28th March 2020, 02:32 PM
Friend

Default The kink

Some years ago I did some detailed densitometry on MGlV RC and noted a kink in the curves around the mid-point (D=about 1.0) and assumed that it was my fault or an anomaly in the stepwedge. I recently spoke to David Abberley at Ilford, who volunteered that MGV removes the kink... And this was one of the intended improvements. I haven’t done any densitometry on the new emulsion.
Old 28th March 2020, 03:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Some years ago I did some detailed densitometry on MGlV RC and noted a kink in the curves around the mid-point (D=about 1.0) and assumed that it was my fault or an anomaly in the stepwedge. I recently spoke to David Abberley at Ilford, who volunteered that MGV removes the kink... And this was one of the intended improvements. I haven’t done any densitometry on the new emulsion.
The owner of Morco advised me that there was some difficulty in obtaining some of the chemicals that go to make up the emulsion of MG4v was also partly responsible for the reformulation and development of MG5
Old 28th March 2020, 04:41 PM
Friend

I have to say that on balance, based on what I have seen and read, the MGV looks to be the better paper and the increase in price that most if not all stockists are charging is probably commensurate with the improvements made

Now that is some accolade coming from someone like me who has become intensely sceptical of anything labelled as new that carried a big price hike such as Acros II or even stuff that is not new such as TMax 100/400 and Kodak bulk rolls

Mike
Old 28th March 2020, 09:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Do you recall whether the kink occurred with all contrast grades or just the lower ones? I have not done sensitometry on papers but I have done a lot of trial and error and I've settled on a lower contrast negative and slightly higher paper grade which I prefer subjectively. I'm wondering if the "kink" might be the reason, or at least part of the reason.
Old 29th March 2020, 08:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
I noticed MGIV RC grades 00 and 0 had a terrible kink in the darker mid-tones.

You got almost no tonal differentiation on the print for quite large tonal changes on the negative - the outcome of which was to produce some very muddy flat prints.

Yes I know 00 and 0 give you muddy flat prints but the effect was to make the prints even more muddy and flat.

I noticed in the published material put out by Ilford that MGV has eliminated that particular defect, although they use some fancy weasel words to describe the change.

Martin
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:11 PM
Friend

Jumping back into the fray.

I have just used a cassette of XP2, the first for a couple of years, so this may 'try' the MGV because with MG1V I had to use at least a Gd3 to get a decent image.
Old 24th August 2020, 05:53 PM
Friend

Having heard good things about the MG5, I thought I would give it a try so ordered 2 boxes of 9 1/2x 12, and spent some time calibrating my Analyser pro for it, and spent a happy hour or so pri8nting on it today, and I am impressed, it looks a very good paper, good deep blacks, lovely tones, faster than MG4, in fact it looks very much like a 25 year old Kentmere VC, I had calibrated my analyser when I first go it for this old Kentmere paper, and I still have the numbers in the memory, so just for fun I tried mesuring the exposure and burn times Ect for the ''new'' 5, and then switched to the settings for the Kerntmere, and everything reads exactly the same, not nearly but exactly the same exposure times, this old ( 25 or more years) kentmere vc paper was the paper that persuaded me that I could get as good looking prints on RC as on FB paper, and apart from the feel of FB paper I think that the prints look as good on this ''new'' paper, and makes me wonder, have Harman revived a old kentmere formula, whatever, I will be getting more of the paper, as said, very impressed, more so than I was with 4, which I was never completely happy with
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies