Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2020, 10:18 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Default Future of Monthly Print Swap

Recommendations for stopping the spread of the virus have changed dramatically in the last 24h and set me thinking on how this could affect the Monthly Print swap. This is particularly as the April Exchange is nearly upon us. I wanted to canvass views before proceeding or not.

As with everything to do with it I am conflicted, if not confused, living as I do over 200m from the nearest neighbour and out of sight of most road traffic and 'social' activity.

The consequences of any restrictions now or in the future are unknown and will inevitably include unintended ones. Thus we have no idea how the postal system will be affected - other threads on FADU have already highlighted possible delays. This uncerainty will be more acute while the situation settles down to a new 'normality' and hence the April Exchange.

All efforts are quite rightly concentrating on limiting its spread. We all are going to have a personal responsibility to ensure that we are neither recipients or vectors of the charming wee b*****s. The activities involved in the Monthly Exchange that may be involved are:

1) It is uncertain how the postal system in general including across national borders will be affected.
2) Participants having to go to Post Offices to get stamps and post the exchanges (not all post boxes accept A4 envelopes without bending them).
3) Posties have to deliver them and it is unclear if or how this will be affected or participants have to collect them from wherever.
4) Transfer of the virus from handling items cannot be discounted.

I think there is particularly a case for abandoning the April exchange and see how things pan out and then review monthly. I will make a decision whether I would be involved at the end of the week largely depending on the consensus in this thread.
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 24th March 2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:37 AM
Friend

I agree it should be postponed, Mike. Perhaps we could look into the possibility of an email based exchange. Sending a scan of a print, instead of the real thing, until things improve?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 24th March 2020, 11:05 AM
Friend

e are not quite so affected over hre at the moment, no lock down, just everything just about closed, but I agree, it should be postponed for now, just make a decision on a month to month basis until we all see how this pans out,
Richard
Old 24th March 2020, 11:34 AM
Friend

Yep, a postponement is the best thing at the moment. Sad, but necessary.

But it shouldn't stop us all getting into the darkroom. Lots of older negs that haven't been printed I'm sure. These prints could then go out in twos or more to the people on the next few print rounds when they restart. Just a thought.

Terry S
Old 24th March 2020, 12:25 PM
Friend

Although I have not been taking part I think it is a good idea as the virus is transmitted by touch. We are being more careful than usual as we are a high risk household.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:41 PM
Friend

I also think the most sensible thing to do at this moment in time is to postpone the print exchange rounds, although it loaths me to say so.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th March 2020, 01:44 PM
Administrator

This sounds like a very good point Mike. Given that none of us are epidemiologists, an abundance of caution is probably the best option at this point.

Last edited by Bob; 24th March 2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 24th March 2020, 03:43 PM
Friend

I too subscribe to the abundance of caution approach - albeit reluctantly
Old 24th March 2020, 05:29 PM
Friend

I don't take part but I think you need to be more realistic and practical. The virus doesn't last long and really needs quite quick transmission as it doesn't survive long outside of a host.

Unlike most of you I did study Virology at University although some decades ago. Current thinking is this particular virus isn't transmitted by cardboard or paper and even on surfaces which permit transmission it's only active for less than 5 days, and on most far less, minutes or hours.

If there was an issue Post would be banned ! So realism is needed and a rethink.

Ian
Old 24th March 2020, 05:54 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I don't take part but I think you need to be more realistic and practical. The virus doesn't last long and really needs quite quick transmission as it doesn't survive long outside of a host.

Unlike most of you I did study Virology at University although some decades ago. Current thinking is this particular virus isn't transmitted by cardboard or paper and even on surfaces which permit transmission it's only active for less than 5 days, and on most far less, minutes or hours.

If there was an issue Post would be banned ! So realism is needed and a rethink.

Ian

I would certainly bow to your greater knowledge and accept that surface transmission may be a very low (insignifacant?) risk, but I have heard of wiping surfaces with suitable wipes being advocated and practised. We need to follow a precautionary approach as I said it cannot be discounted. I do not think that many of us are spring chickens and are in or have family in the higher risk population.
Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies