Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th January 2017, 05:08 PM
Friend

The Samyang 14mm lens has auto linkages to connect up to my Nikon D600 but NO autofocus. This really is no issue as the depth of field is immense. I have used it for a few beach shots here in Lincolnshire and the images were excellent with a massive amount of space and air. Unfortunately though, that lack of edge and corner sharpness is a real pain. I think that I may well be tempted to continue using my 20mm Nikkor in place of this lens.

One other thing with this lens is that it focuses way past infinity so it is essential to accurately focus on the area of the image that is critical to you. Really nice quality product with dubious corner definition just about sums this up.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:16 PM
Friend

I have always found it strange that really wide open empty spaces remand a really wide angle lens to capture the feel of the place.

To get that feeling of vast emptiness, there needs to be some detail at the bottom of the photograph, to "anchor the view" and give some sense of scale.

I have found its always necessary to get down to knee height to get the required level of foreground detail.

Shooting from normal eye height does not make the background seem far away - only very small.

Of course there are always exceptions to this - but its a good place to start.

Martin
Old 28th January 2017, 10:51 AM
Friend

Yes, I agree entirely. Although I have a serious problem with my left leg, the result of a forty year ago motorcycle smash, I can still crouch down to a low level to get that specific look to the shot. Here in Lincolnshire where it is just so flat those kind of shots work amazingly well. One problem though at the moment in January is trying to keep one's shadow out of the damn shot.
Old 28th January 2017, 10:54 AM
Friend

Also of course, salt marshes where I spend most of my time, tend to be incredibly wet places so sitting on the floor is a no no. I just love the blend of foreground and massive sky with that cavernous sense of space. In fact it is in such a place that I have decided to have my ashes scattered, not too soon I hope LOL.

I have a few images at www.psyfa.co.uk as I am not allowed to show them here.
Old 29th January 2017, 03:16 PM
Friend

I carry to plastic carrier bag to kneel on, when the ground is very wet.

Then I just shake off the excess and turn it inside out and carry it in an outer pocket of my camera bag.

I almost always end up kneeling at some point during a shot, if only to get a different lens out or change a filter.

A muddy left knee is just part of my days photography.

Martin
Old 30th January 2017, 02:43 PM
Friend

LOL... Don't know why, never even considered a carrier bag. Does it matter if it is only a 5p one LOL...? That is a really good piece of advice and I shall be following it later this year.

Have used the 14mm Samyang again with the FX digital Nikon and I still have to say that the edge quality is shocking. The effect this lens gives is quite stunning but there is just no edge sharpness at all. I shall carry on using it just for its effect but I have to admit, it is nowhere near as good as a 20mm Nikon.
Old 30th January 2017, 02:47 PM
Friend

Again, looking forward to spring as I am hoping to get to an old military installation close to Donna Nook. It consists of three concrete bunkers from WWII and a brick built construction that looks more cold war. This last building has clearly had some kind of generator in it with liquid cooling but the whole scene makes for some really lonely images bang in the middle of a salt marsh as it is. Seriously love this place.
Old 30th January 2017, 05:02 PM
Friend

I cannot claim to be the originator of the idea for kneeling on plastic bags.

I read an article where someone was using the black lightproof bags from packets of 10x8 paper strapped somehow to his knees.

I never found the 10x8 bags were big enough - so moved up to carrier bags.

Of course the choice of which supermarkets carrier bags you use will now become a point of contention for somebody (ha ha)

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies