Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd December 2019, 12:44 PM
Friend

Default drop processing

Hello you FADU users,

I am trying to wok out comparative dilutions for overnight film processing. Anyone has a clue as to where to look? (I have asked manufacturers already)

Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by verene View Post
I am trying to wok out comparative dilutions for overnight film processing.
Any particular reason that you want 'overnight processing'? And how long do you mean by 'overnight', as it could make a big difference?

Maybe a bit shorter, but an hour long development of films is popular with some, if you feel rushed by the usual development times - look up 'stand processing'.

Terry S
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:33 PM
Friend

By overnight I meant 8 hours. As to why is because I was shown (gorgeous) examples of results by someone who claimed to have done it but did not give me further particulars. My interest was therefore piqued...
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:46 PM
Friend

verene, if it is overnight in the literal sense of the word then I assume this is 7-8 hours of stand development? The famous photographer Bert Hardy retells a story of how in desperation to get some kind of a negative he used a mixture that he had learned about from some Fleet Street darkroom worker and after a fashion it worked well enough a newspaper picture but it was a last resort method

I certainly have never heard of overnight processing except from Bert's book

Key to overnight has to be how much the developer is still working after say 1-1.5 hours. Is there still a difference after say another 7 hours? If there isn't then while those extra hours do no harm they confer no advantage either

This could be an interesting and informative topic

Mike
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:54 PM
Friend

Yes the guy claims he routinely leaves the negs in a tank, goes to bed and deals with it in the morning. So unless he sleeps in naps, it it a stretch of time. That is why my interest was piqued: obviously not sure he was not having me on but what he showed me had spectacularly fine results
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:17 PM
Friend

Why don’t you try it to see what happens? I’ve never seen anything published about this technique, although that doesn’t mean there is no information out there. Was the person suggesting there was no agitation at any point? Obviously, there wouldn’t be whilst you slept, unless there was some sort of machinery involved.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
verene, if it is overnight in the literal sense of the word then I assume this is 7-8 hours of stand development? The famous photographer Bert Hardy retells a story of how in desperation to get some kind of a negative he used a mixture that he had learned about from some Fleet Street darkroom worker and after a fashion it worked well enough a newspaper picture but it was a last resort method

I certainly have never heard of overnight processing except from Bert's book

Key to overnight has to be how much the developer is still working after say 1-1.5 hours. Is there still a difference after say another 7 hours? If there isn't then while those extra hours do no harm they confer no advantage either

This could be an interesting and informative topic

Mike
I’m guessing the brew will be an important factor here, to make use of all eight hours the developer needs to have not been fully exhausted in the latter period as otherwise as Mike says its doing nothing. Did your friend say if it was his own brew?
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:30 PM
Friend

I was hoping to get some pointers if anyone had tried it before, but yes, at the end of the day (or night) I guess I will have to test a series of devs and dilutions. Martin Reed suggested I should try out with Neofin or the Buetler dev as those are more likely to give good results. I am obviously tempted to try the Buetler first as I have more stock and it is cheaper!
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by verene View Post
Yes the guy claims he routinely leaves the negs in a tank, goes to bed and deals with it in the morning. So unless he sleeps in naps, it it a stretch of time. That is why my interest was piqued: obviously not sure he was not having me on but what he showed me had spectacularly fine results

Have you seen any works of art from him ?

Neil.,

Neil Souch
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:06 PM
Friend

verene, I cannot say Neofin and Beutler will not work over an 8 hour development process but I have never heard of either of these two being used in this way.

I take it that you are absolutely sure that when he referred you to both of the above developers Martin was doing so in terms of an 8 hour process?

I'd try and find out from this aquaintance what his developer was and what his process was in as much detail as you can i.e. with specific reference to temperature, dilution and agitation if it is a proprietary developer. If it is a "homebrew" then what the ingredients are is also important

What you do is your business of course but unless you have some idea of what is used and how it is used then any normal developer I know of will give you solid black unusable negatives over a period much shorter than 8 hours. The exception to this is very dilute Rodinal and maybe one one/two inversions only in the whole 8 hours or may be none if the person sleeps overnight will give

You could so easily waste a whole lot of otherwise well taken films in such tests

Mike

Tags
processing
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies