Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2017, 05:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
Forgive me for asking, but I'm intrigued that people frequently talk of storing photographic chemicals in brown bottles. Surely the manufacturers would supply their products in dark bottles if they were light sensitive, whereas most (notably excepting Fotospeed) are sold in white or transparent plastic.
While it is true that photographic chemicals break down under UV radiation, there is something of an urban myth about the need for brown bottles.

So, if you keep your chemicals outside in strong Arizona direct summer sunlight - brown is a good idea.

However, if you are in the UK and keep your chemicals in-doors and out of direct sunlight - then the advantages of brown bottles are less obvious.

Personally, I keep my chemicals in plastic PET or HDPE bottles in a cupboard in a north facing room.

Martin
Old 27th February 2017, 01:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
...While it is true that photographic chemicals break down under UV radiation, there is something of an urban myth about the need for brown bottles....
Ron Mowrey, retired Kodak engineer, posts regularly in the APUG forum. Occasionally, the topic of brown bottles surfaces, and I've made a note of his comments:

"We did not find any significant correlation between lighting in darkrooms and keeping. Air was more of a problem and even that can be minimized. Old fables die hard, don't they? In the average darkroom or chemical storage area, tinted glass is not needed for storage. It's nice, though, as it identifies the developer, but otherwise no big deal."

FWIW, recently a member posted there that fruit juice jars with caps that can corrode can still be used if one places a sheet of clear food wrap over the bottle top before screwing on the cap. Ron agreed with that solution. I would think that caps containing plastic seals would also serve the same purpose; all my bottles have such caps (provided by my chosen bottle source here).

Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 27th February 2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 5th March 2017, 02:31 AM
Friend

I use some local beer or wine bottles that have metal tops. A bonus is that you have to drink them dry before using.
Old 5th March 2017, 05:21 PM
Friend

Agreed almost any colour of glass could be used, but not plastic of any thickness (Except the screw cap) - it is not worth the risk. I buy C41 in 2.5 litre kits and to make sure I get full use of what I pay for. I mix it all at once and store 2 litres in 500cc brown glass bottles and the remaining 500cc in 2 x 150cc and 2 x 100cc bottles and use as required.
From my last lot made about 2 months ago I am down to the last 500cc and it simply has not deteriorated one little bit.

I am wondering if I can do the same procedure with an E6 reversal kit. That would make it viable to get back to using slides. It is only the 2 developers that have to be protected, the bleach/fix isn't the problem.

Last edited by John King; 5th March 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Agreed almost any colour of glass could be used, ... ... am wondering if I can do the same procedure with an E6 reversal kit. That would make it viable to get back to using slides. It is only the 2 developers that have to be protected, the bleach/fix isn't the problem.
Sorry for the late response:

It's a decade plus since I last did E6, when I stored my working strength chemicals in 150ml brown Winchester style glass bottles. (Jobo DuoLab rotary processor) I don't recall any problems, but my usage was quite high at the time, and long term storage wasn't a problem.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies