Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th February 2017, 08:24 PM
Friend

Default M42 - Olympus OM adaptor

Apart from my recent (ongoing) affair with half-frame (see earlier thread), I love Olympus OM cameras - particularly the OM1n and OM2n. My first camera that I owned, rather than borrowed off my dad, was a Zenith E with a superb Helios 58mm f2 lens. It was particularly nice for still-life and shots of architectural details. Sharp, but quite low in contrast. Totally different 'feel' to the OM Zuiko lenses. I recently rediscovered the Zenith outfit in my mum's loft. The camera is knackered (I wore it out!) but the lens is a good as the day it crossed the iron curtain.

Does anyone know if an adapter was available to fit M42 screw-fit lenses onto an OM body? I've looked at various second hand dealers and auction sites but to no avail. I'd love to shoot with it again but can't be doing with getting yet another camera body!
Old 11th February 2017, 08:50 PM
Friend

Rob - forgive my ignorance on this. If the mounts OM and OM-D are the same, then Novoflex do an M42/OM-D adapter.

novoflex.com
Old 11th February 2017, 09:17 PM
Friend

I don't think they are the same. I know you can get an OM to OM-D connector which would suggest they're different.

I stand to be corrected though.
Old 11th February 2017, 10:06 PM
Friend

Hi, there. Just a warning, even if such adapter was available it wouldn't reach the focus at infinity. The flange to plane of focus distance in M42 mount is shorter than in OM mount albeit only a few tenths of a millimeter.

Cheers, M.
Old 11th February 2017, 11:19 PM
Friend

I suspected that would be the case but I wouldn't using the lens at infinity. If all else fails I might have to do some engineering / butchery with an old T2 mount.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Old 12th February 2017, 08:21 AM
Friend

Rob,
Try contacting SRB Phtographic, sorry don't know their web addres, but srb should get you there, they custom make adaptors of the sort yoy may be looking for, and are reasonable, also they are the best place for reasonably priced filters, even small ones, I have bought from them, and they are nice people to deal with
Richard
Old 12th February 2017, 06:10 PM
Friend

Rob

You could always look for a Olympus FTL the one in between the Pen and the OM, they are a wee bit scarce now. I think Ffordes have a couple of lenses for the FTL.

Bob
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:53 PM
Friend

Hi Rob,
I too came from the M42 thread to Olympus and had looked into an adapter when both 'threads' were in use. From looking into it I found that due to the focusing distance, as mentioned above, in order for the lens to focus the rear element would come into with the mirror, so no such adapter was made.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:46 AM
Friend

Well, I've done a fairly successful bodge using the rear plate from an old broken Zuiko 50mm. I needed to grind out the internal flanges so the Helios lens fitted into it and superglued it to the lens. The main downside is that it can't lock onto the camera body. It's quite stiff though so it's unlikely to fall off. As I expected, it won't focus beyond about 2 metres wide open but I don't really need it to.
Now to put a film through it and see if the legends about the unique effects of the Helios 85mm f2 are true.
Watch this space!
Old 30th November 2017, 12:53 PM
Friend

Like Richard, I was going to recommend SRB, (http://srb-photographic.co.uk/) who if they don't have it as a stock item (although I would guess that they probably will), they would be able to make you one.

They regularly have full page ads in magazines and have been going for years. They offer a very good range of photographic products at good prices.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies