Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2017, 05:46 PM
Friend

Based purely on my experience on APUG I can think of another reason why scanning even when done within the rules to demonstrate a negative problem appears to be fraught with danger in that I have lost count of the number of posts in APUG where the "problem" has been the scanner and not the negative.

Mike
Old 18th February 2017, 10:33 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think the moderators are sleeping a bit: a thread like this would normally be closed as soon as a moderator saw it.
Not sleeping, just keeping an eye on it to see it does not get out of hand. TonyC is right to ask and so far the advice given has been helpful to him but if it strays into discussion on the merits of various scanners or scanning methods then that would be a step too far.

Bill
Old 19th February 2017, 12:19 AM
Friend

This is asked out of sheer curiosity, Bill and not out of devilment but I think it is a "given" that when scanning to demonstrate a possible negative problem it is important to ensure that the scanner operates at the minimum level required to correctly replicate the negative, so in terms of said minimum level is there a list of scanners that meet this level?

For instance, I had a thread on a negative that needed grade 5 and still seemed to fall short in terms of a good print but I wouldn't begin to know if my printer/scanner(HP 2510) can scan negatives sufficiently to demonstrate the problem( real or imagined as the case may be)

I appreciate it is difficult to know where to draw the line and I have no desire to add a hybrid section to FADU but a certain minimum level of knowledge of scanning and scanners may be needed to utilise the permission given to us by FADU to utilise scanning for the purposes of analysis of negative problems.

In the "old days", pre-internet we'd have met face to face and the actual negative would have been on show for discussion but such a straightforward method is not open to us.

Some education may be required which entails discussion of scanning and scanners simply as a means to an analogue end

Mike
Old 26th February 2017, 08:59 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Sorry Mike, I've not been ignoring you but trying to think how we could tackle this issue. I think the subject is so wide it needs a lot of thinking about. For instance a scanner that is valid today may well not be in a month's time. I have asked a question in the Moderators forum to open the discussion on whether there should be an article about the basic scanning requirements so that we can point to that in future rather than having the discussion in open forum.

Bill
Old 26th February 2017, 09:24 AM
Friend

Surely information regarding the digitisation of analogue material is readily available elsewhere on the internet. Just my two pennies worth

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 26th February 2017, 09:39 AM
Friend

Default Scanning

If I can be allowed to put my two pennoth into the fray. If someone is using film then he clearly falls into the ethos of this forum.

If then for whatever reason the photographer wishes to scan the negatives, slides, whatever, he/she asks advice about scanners that is when the area 'greys' the boundaries. ( I scan all my negs as a way of easy reference when looking for a certain subject).

Perhaps a wider, but more defined adjustment to the forum rules could be applied. I don't mean a situation where a wholesale discussion of digital techniques are allowed. (There are other forums for that). but one where conversion of film into digital is the topic, using scanners do do the work. so asking for advice about equipment could be allowed so long as they didn't stray over the boundaries.
Old 26th February 2017, 11:39 AM
Friend

As soon as you can get a nice B&W darkroom print you will loose any interest in scanning B&W film anyway.

Honestly my only photographic regret the past few years is that I waited 2 years before setting up my own darkroom.
Old 26th February 2017, 12:43 PM
Friend

Talking Loss of interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHrs View Post
As soon as you can get a nice B&W darkroom print you will loose any interest in scanning B&W film anyway.

Honestly my only photographic regret the past few years is that I waited 2 years before setting up my own darkroom.
I quite agree with you - there's nowt like it. It is like a craftsman making something with hand tools instead of using someone else's expertise to do it for them.
Old 26th February 2017, 01:31 PM
Friend

I agree with Marty. After making one or two mistaken requests for information early on in my membership of this forum, I realised that there are lots of other places to look. I have all my negatives scanned and archived, dating back to 1955; so I've done a fair amount of work on that.

On Mike's question about whether or not a particular scanner or technique is able to present a negative problem, I think the answer is to look at your scan and decide for yourself. We honestly don't really need a special section on the forum for hybrid photographers like myself: I'm very happy with FADU the way it is and check in at least once a day.

Last edited by Michael; 26th February 2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 26th February 2017, 03:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
For instance a scanner that is valid today may well not be in a month's time.

I understand fears around digital obsolesce but really any scanner you buy today is going to serve you well for many years, minimum. My scanner dates from 2001.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies