Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th February 2017, 03:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Surely information regarding the digitisation of analogue material is readily available elsewhere on the internet. Just my two pennies worth
I fully agree with Marty, if you want info about digi in general there is plenty on the web, we are here because we like analogue,
Richard
Old 26th February 2017, 03:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHrs View Post
As soon as you can get a nice B&W darkroom print you will loose any interest in scanning B&W film anyway.

Honestly my only photographic regret the past few years is that I waited 2 years before setting up my own darkroom.
Gotta say when you see and handle a well and carefully crafted darkroom produced print there is nothing quite like it, quite a few have gone digi, then come back to the darkroom because of it, maybe it is because part of the photographers soul has gone into that print
Richard
Old 26th February 2017, 05:32 PM
Friend

Thanks Bill for the reply. In effect all I know at present is how to scan a document by placing it on the very basic HP2510 glass and press scan. That's the extent of my knowledge which I suspect is considerably more basic than almost anyone here.

I suppose I was looking for an ABC as to (a) whether without a PS type of programme which I do not possess it is even possible to scan a print at a level where the scan of the print looks anything like the print and more importantly (b) whether a decent scan of a negative is possible and how this is done?

Maybe the forum section on this tells me enough but my interest in scanning is so limited that being a little lazy I was looking for an idiot's guide.

Mike
Old 26th February 2017, 06:21 PM
Administrator

There are plenty of online resources to learn about film scanning. fadu is all about film and 'darkroom' work. There is nothing wrong with scanning film but members here prefer to discuss the real silver print.
Old 26th February 2017, 10:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Gotta say when you see and handle a well and carefully crafted darkroom produced print there is nothing quite like it, quite a few have gone digi, then come back to the darkroom because of it, maybe it is because part of the photographers soul has gone into that print
Richard
I would love to say that but for me it is more simple. One of my easiest to get a nice scan from negs was one of the first things I printed. I managed to get a print with similar tonality to how I PP the scan but on the print its just that bit nicer. The grain is much less apparent but it is there like a nice texture, the sharpness and fine detail is all there the same on both, the dark tones are a bit deeper and smoother in the print.

I consider myself to be pretty bob on when it comes to scanning and PP from film, certainly based on what I have seen online over the years from others. I can make a superior print though pretty easily except in one rather annoying area that takes real care and its the old bugbear of getting edge to edge sharpness. I went a bit crazy checking everything on the enlarger to get it right, its very easy to not notice a bit of misalignment especially centreing 35mm negs in the enlarger.

I don't have a flatbed scanner though but may have to get one as I don't have a means of getting my photographs online now and whilst I can set up a DSLR on my enlarger it means taking the thing apart then setting it up again (bought a copy stand adapter but not used yet for that reason).

Where the soul comes in is the time spent in the dark (and light) considering your print and what your going to do with it, friends think I am a bit crazy when I have explained the 3 or 4 stage dodge and burn I have done on a print but they can't see it to which I reply "but of course that is the point" .

The hand of the maker moves silently.
Old 27th February 2017, 01:05 PM
Friend

All this is making me even more desperate to get my darkroom set up. I am developing my own negs at the moment, which is a learning curve I am loving, but that is as far as I've been able to get. I am scanning those negs just to get a look at the image. It feels like I am missing out on so much more though. I have all the gear to get going, but just need to fix the leaks in my garage before I can get set up.
Old 11th March 2017, 08:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
All this is making me even more desperate to get my darkroom set up.
It will come, I closed the dark room 20 years ago when the Children came along but now one is more keen than me so we have the beginnings of a dark room, we are currently cleaning and checking all the bits and bobs, its surprising how long it takes to get set up properly but it will happen just be patient.
After months of looking we managed to buy a complete dark room and with some excellent help from two people on this forum we now have almost everything we need and haven't spent a fortune, but all in all we are three months down the line and still not printed anything.
We have also purchased scanner as we feel it would be a useful asset, one thing we have used one for in the past is to do a quick scan of relatives negs and they are delighted to see forgotten images, once they see them its easy for them to pick which to have printed.
Many people forget the neg is the bit to keep and protect.
Old 11th March 2017, 12:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchman View Post
Many people forget the neg is the bit to keep and protect.
Yes, I suspect that a lot of family history has been lost because there may still be dog-eared, stained, tiny contact prints in an envelope somewhere but the negs were thrown away years ago. The few negs I possess from the 50s are still in good condition and can be enlarged from but prints of that era have not fared so well

Mike
Old 11th March 2017, 04:27 PM
Friend

Thats another reason we have the scanner do we can keep a good record
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies