Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th March 2017, 04:22 PM
Friend

The best aim is progress, not perfection. If one aims for progress, that's achievable, satisfying. (Cue one's one personal 'yay, I did that!') If one makes the unreasonable (beyond reason) aim of perfection, you will spend so much of a valuable life wasted in the quest for the unreachable. Even if you do by some miracle achieve perfection, where do you go after that but down?
Progress, not perfection. You have progressed much already..... (Yay!)
Old 10th March 2017, 05:32 PM
Friend

Default Why I use Film

Well why do I? Simply because I can. No that's not quite right, I use film because when I get all the points coming together to reproduce what I originally saw before tripping the shutter.

Ok I could use digital and get the same (almost) result but where is the skill in that!

To get what I want using film, I take the picture, develop the film, and select the frame I want to print. I am using colour more and more these days, so to print the negatives I have to get the colour balance quite right - no - exactly right. I expose the paper under the enlarger develop it and with a good bit of luck, I get my picture.

With digital, the first steps are the same but no after work needed apart from to get the image apart from feed the memory card into the computer and within munutes look at what I have taken. If you wish you can do a few tweeks via a software package like Photoshop and size it to what I want. Now I send the information to the printer and out the other end pops a facsimile of what was originally seen. Very little expertise is needed to get something that will please most, but not me.

To me, digital compared to silver based photography is about on the same level as buying a flatpack piece of furniture from IKEA. Screwing all the bits together and have a functional item to use in the home. Not aesthetically atractive but good enough to be functional.

Compare this to buying a number of items of plain wood, using a few woodworking tools, a saw or two, chisels, mallets, woodplane, glue, screws, plus a few other bits and pieces and at the end hopefully you will have something that can be looked upon with pride and say "I made that"!

It is all about pride in what we do and withskills developed over a number of years to be able to make things with a true beauty and worth while keeping. Digital for me, bolongs to the 'throw away society' and is a medium which has it's uses, but lack true value.

(To say nothing of being constantly pestered to upgrade this that or the other otherwise your images will suffer.)
Old 11th March 2017, 12:02 AM
Friend

Hey Terry, congrats on finishing! Having been through a similar experience, I can imagine how having a medical complaint complicated the work. If it's any consolation John Davies the landscape photographer did a masterclass at our college. I remember him saying it's not important what grade you got it's what you do after that's important.
Old 11th March 2017, 08:08 AM
Friend

I learnt with film, Did my City & Guilds with film, I am a bit of a techno phobe so can't work Photo shop etc.
But Film makes you stop and think, you have to compose the shot with more thought, it's some how more relaxing, you spend more time on each image.
Our daughter likes the Retro look of the images when taken with some of the lesser cameras
Old 11th March 2017, 01:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverphoton View Post
John Davies the landscape photographer did a masterclass at our college. I remember him saying it's not important what grade you got it's what you do after that's important.
Thanks for the other comments guys, for although my course has now finished, it is still interesting to hear from others on the subject.

And thanks Silverphoton, that's a good comment made and how good is that to have such a mentor doing a masterclass with you all. My course was not so lucky.

But as mentioned on this and a follow on post, my main aim now is to become a (much?) better printer in the darkroom than I am now. I've read the books, watched the videos and read long forum posts and now it is time to try and put it all into action.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies