Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2016, 02:55 PM
Friend

Dave -- good tip on the Mamiya screens. Maybe the Mamiya TLR screens might fit too(?). I will look into that - thanks.

The screen on my 3.5F is considerably better than on the older 3.5C. The latter does not have a removable viewfinder/screen assembly, but should be easily accessed by removing a few screws. As far as I can tell just by eyeballing it, the 'C model has just a ground glass screen, whereas the 'F seems to be fresnel with split. The screen on the 'C is so dim, esp. around the edges, as to be barely usable in low light. If I can fix that I will be much happier with the camera.

BTW, is Beattie still in business? I can't seem to find any new screens from them at the big US online retailers.
Old 28th June 2016, 03:58 PM
Friend

I think the Mamiya TLR screens are too small, as are screens for most 6x6 cameras. Because the Rolleiflexes have the clever sliding frame parallax correction they actually need oversized screens, hence you've got to source ones from 6x7 cameras.
Old 28th June 2016, 04:19 PM
Friend

Svend. yes, as far as I know Beattie is still around, Morco over here in the UK still list the inrerscreens as available
Richard
Old 28th June 2016, 05:33 PM
Friend

I bought a Chinese fresnel screen for my Yashicamat 124 but never fitted it instead I eventually put used it for my Microcord, it's a huge improvement. They are quite in-expensive and sold for Rolleiflex and Rolleicord cameras..

Ian
Old 28th June 2016, 06:11 PM
Friend

Dave - thanks, that's good to know. I will open up the viewfinder tonight and measure the screen. There is a photo fair coming up here in a few weeks, so with measuring tape in my hip holster I will scour the vendor's tables to see if anyone has a screen that will work.

Richard - thanks for the tip-off on that. I just found out that Beattie is in Rochester, NY, which is pretty close to here. We are visiting with friends there soon and could drop in on them if they will let me in the door :-)

Ian - are those the screens one sees on Ebay?

Question: if I fit a new screen, do I have to re-collimate the lens focus? Methinks not, being that focusing is done on the bottom of the screen. But just thought I'd check with you all....?

Thanks all -- you've given me a few options here. Appreciate it!

Svend

PS -- regrets to all you soccer fans over there. Bad day yesterday :-(
Old 28th June 2016, 06:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I bought a Chinese fresnel screen for my Yashicamat 124 but never fitted it instead I eventually put used it for my Microcord, it's a huge improvement. They are quite in-expensive and sold for Rolleiflex and Rolleicord cameras..

Ian
I could do with something like that for my Microcord. lovely camera and beautiful lens, but simple ground glass screen alright,just, outdoors, but in low light a nightmare, but as far as my Rolleis are concerned, an Automat and a couple of Rolleicords VAII's the screen's are fine, although the one with a replacement screen with split image center spot is a lot easier

Richard
Old 28th June 2016, 11:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Svend

PS -- regrets to all you soccer fans over there. Bad day yesterday :-(
Svend, some of us soccer fans from one of the Celtic races regret that our team never got there in the first place but others such as the Irish did quite well and the Welsh are still there.

It was a bad day for England but not all soccer fans in Britain are English and strangely England is not all of Britain despite what Sky Sports seem to believe and base its football business model on

I could never work out why Halifax and not Edinburgh is the capital of Nova Scotia

Mike
Old 29th June 2016, 03:30 AM
Friend

Richard -- if you're stuck for options, these screens might be worth a try:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html
I've read good things about them on other forums. He notes that he has fitted a Microcord. Reasonable cost too -- US$80, which includes worldwide shipping apparently. I may buy one for my 3.5C if I can't find a cheaper option locally. Nice thing about these is that they are cut specially for each model, so no need to fiddle around in the workshop trying to cut down a screen (I'm envisioning shards of expensive glass buried in my palm).

Mike -- duly noted Apologies if I slighted all you non-English fans. I will have to remember that next time I lob such a comment over there.

As for Halifax, here's the scoop from one of our online history sources: "Halifax was named after George Montagu Dunk, Earl of Halifax and Chief Lord of Trade and Plantations, who helped in its settlement. Halifax grew rapidly with the influx of Loyalists from the American Revolution, and was incorporated as a town in 1841." Just a fresh young place by your standards. I suppose it became the capital because of it's rapid growth and size, being the largest city in Atlantic Canada. Wonderful place.

Cheers,
Svend
Old 29th June 2016, 10:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Ian - are those the screens one sees on Ebay?
Yes, I think made originally for Seagull TLRs.

Ian
Old 29th June 2016, 11:21 AM
Friend

Thanks Ian. Found the Seagull screens. The price certainly is attractive -- only C$30 incl. shipping. You say there was a huge improvement on your Microcord....I don't suppose you can compare that camera's original screen to an older Rolleiflex like mine? (ground glass, 3.5C or E model, non-removable WLF). Just curious to know how much difference I might expect.

Thanks!
Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies