Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th April 2016, 01:42 PM
Friend

Different folders have different red windows. some have a lighter red than others, most German folders that I have come across have an easy red window to use, some have darker windows, the Ensigns have thicker, darker windows, I find the easiest way to use them is to turn into the sun if out or to the light and hold the camera so that the light reflects into the window and wind the film slowly, that way it is a bit of a doddle, just take a bit of getting used to, these days I never miss a number, in the early days I would sometimes mis the first frame by winding too far, another trick is to use a film with bold printing, Ilford film is quite hard to use as the printing is light, my favorite film, Fomapan, has bolder printing and is very easy to see, also, wind on until you see a series of double dots, in the case of Fomapan, or stars in the case of Ilford, then you know that after the third dot or star will be the frame number, easy with practise, with Agfa I can't comment as I don't have an agfa folder as many of them suffer bellows leaks due to the plastic that agfa used for bellows in some of their folders.
Richaes
Old 25th April 2016, 03:25 PM
Friend

Richard, I have no problems seeing the frame numbers in bright light with either camera. But in deep shade or indoors it is almost impossible, esp. in the Agfa whose window is a rather dark red. The Franka was easier, but still no treat. Interesting note about Ilford film being harder to see, as that is what I use most. I may try taking the red plastic out of the Franka if I think the light trap is OK inside.

Thanks for the help with this!
Old 25th April 2016, 04:26 PM
Friend

Svend,You could try taking the red window out, but you risk fogging the film, It happened to me when I got hold of a folder without the red window, I replaced the red and all was fine. All red windows are a problem in dull light , There are some around that only need the red window to show frame one and then have automatic frame counters, Super Baldax and Ensign Autorange 220 are two that I have with frame counters, plu there are the Super Ikontas, but with modern film and backing papers being a lot thinner than the 50's film you have to modify some of them, and every folder I know of that uses red window is a problem in dim light, that's why I suggest carrying a small torch to help with winding, You can also try Foma films, I use them all the time, and have, in at least ten years of using them as my go to film, have never had a problem, I have a Franka, in my case a Solida 2. and find it to be one of the easiest red window to use, followed closely by my Ikonta B

Richard
Old 25th April 2016, 05:24 PM
Friend

Well, I suppose I may have to resign myself to carrying a flashlight with me. We will see how bad the Franka actually is in low light, as I mostly used the Agfa in those conditions, and it had me saying blue words, let me tell you. Shooting inside the magnificent 1920's art deco Fisher building in Detroit, and having to run down two flights of stairs to get outdoors just to wind to the next frame did had me steaming - literally and figuratively.

Interesting that the red windows still shield the film. I would have thought that with today's panchromatic films being sensitive to red light that the windows would be redundant. A quick scan of Google shows some users taking the windows out and having no fogging, but only with cameras that have good light baffles inside.

Very helpful discussion -- thanks Richard!
Old 25th April 2016, 06:55 PM
Friend

I have notest that medium format cameras/lenses seam to be selling well ,and more people are talking about 120 cameras/film on social networks and the like . whenever I go to bid on fleabay for certain 120 film cameras/lenses they seam to rocket up in price as the bids come in ,so is 120 the new 35mm :-))

www.essexcockney.com
Old 25th April 2016, 06:57 PM
Friend

Svend,
As I said it happened to me once, and I decided not to take a chance, I would guess perhaps it might work depending on the camera, but I would not like to risk it. A small torch is easy to use and carry, I use a small led torch, The right film helps, I find Ilford almost useless for red window, but I like Fomapan, I never use anything else whatever camera I use, and even in low light I can sometimes get the frame number with care, and there is often a window handy which is 99% of the time fine, and I often take photos in very low light indeed, exposure between 1/2 and 1/5 second at 5.6 handheld with a folder, easy, no mirrors Etc to cause shake, and can see the frame numbers, and I always have my trusty torch, so my advice is to carry the torch and try a different film. Both Foma and the Rollei films use the the same backing paper and print.
Richard
Old 25th April 2016, 09:56 PM
Friend

Richard,
I just loaded four rolls of HP5 into their tanks, and now I see what you mean about Ilford backing paper -- mid-grey numbers on white paper. No wonder I can't see the darn things. I have some Tmax and TriX and will try that next to see if it's any better.

I checked out the light trap in the back of the Franka around the windows, and I am not confident that a leak won't occur if I removed the red plastic. There is no real baffle between window and film edge, unless the pressure plate is pushed right up against the back, in which case there's a recess there that the plate would fit into that would do it. Short of measuring with a micrometer I don't think I will chance removing the stuff. Besides, once out, I doubt I would ever get a replacement back in again as it's a very tight compression fit.

So I will try the LED flashlight and hope the Franka windows let me see inside.

Cheers, and thanks for all the help.
Svend
Old 26th April 2016, 10:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Richard,
I just loaded four rolls of HP5 into their tanks, and now I see what you mean about Ilford backing paper -- mid-grey numbers on white paper. No wonder I can't see the darn things. I have some Tmax and TriX and will try that next to see if it's any better.

I checked out the light trap in the back of the Franka around the windows, and I am not confident that a leak won't occur if I removed the red plastic. There is no real baffle between window and film edge, unless the pressure plate is pushed right up against the back, in which case there's a recess there that the plate would fit into that would do it. Short of measuring with a micrometer I don't think I will chance removing the stuff. Besides, once out, I doubt I would ever get a replacement back in again as it's a very tight compression fit.

So I will try the LED flashlight and hope the Franka windows let me see inside.

Cheers, and thanks for all the help.
Svend
Maplin electronics sell a tiny key fob led torch which you wind up to power it £2.99 no batteries http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=...d+up&x=15&y=13

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 26th April 2016 at 11:01 AM. Reason: addedtext
Old 26th April 2016, 11:12 AM
Friend

Thanks Norm -- I will check those out here in Canada. Should be available somewhere locally.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies