Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd February 2017, 06:24 PM
Friend

Default A memory test - E5? process

In the early 70s there was, I believe, an experimental predecessor to the E6 process, intended for Ektachrome professional sheetfilm. It was never released commercially. It was packaged in woodgrain-printed cartons, did not require re-exposure and (although I am a bit vague about this) a brown bleach. Does this ring any bells? Friends with long memories may be able to contribute more details.
Old 4th February 2017, 03:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
In the early 70s there was, I believe, an experimental predecessor to the E6 process, intended for Ektachrome professional sheetfilm. It was never released commercially. It was packaged in woodgrain-printed cartons, did not require re-exposure and (although I am a bit vague about this) a brown bleach. Does this ring any bells? Friends with long memories may be able to contribute more details.
It was used for rolls of Aerial Ektachrome in processing machines, a sort of cross between E3 & E4, with no pre-hardener it ran at a lower temperature than E4. Nit much is known about it.

Ian
Old 6th February 2017, 10:37 PM
Friend

Default EA5 and other oddities

Thanks, Ian, for setting my mind at rest. I was beginning to think I was imagining it. As I recollect, E2 and E3 ran at 24°C and differed only in the first developer replenisher. Both required re-exposure and used a ferricyanide bleach. E4 ran at 30°C and required a (toxic) pre-hardener, followed by a neutraliser, to prevent the emulsion sloughing off, but did not require re-exposure. It was well-adapted for dip-and-dunk machine processing. E5 or EA5 was for toughened emulsions and tolerated the high carryover typical of roller-transport mechanisms, which is where I encountered it. Anything to avoid the brown stains on my shirts!
There were several Kodak reversal-colour processes at the time, not to mention incompatible Agfa and Fuji offerings, so it was a blessed relief when E6 arrived.
Old 8th February 2017, 06:19 PM
Friend

Didn't E4 need to re-expose the film ?

I remember messing around with photo floods re-exposing reels of wet film and the disastrous results if you didn't give them enough exposure.

If that wasn't E4 - then what was it (24C developing)?

I remember people being very thankful when E6 arrived and we didn't have to bother with the re-exposure.

I had a friend who consistently didn't re-expose for long enough and half his slides came out with clumps of opaque grey - he never seemed to learn either - roll after roll were messed up

Martin
Old 9th February 2017, 08:51 AM
Friend

E4 wasn't sold in kit form and had the reversal step built in, all the kits were actually based on E3 which was fully compatible with all E4 films.

I used the Barfen kits for E4 films but switched to Photocolor Chrome 6 for my E6 processing as soon as it was released. This was later outsourced and made for Paterson by Champion unfortunately Champion did a deal to make all Kodak's chemistry and ceased manufacturing for Paterson & Ilford.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies