Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th March 2017, 09:14 AM
Friend

Default Parodinal anyone made it or used it?

Cleared out my mothers medicine cabinet the other day and found 80-90 paracetemol tablets. Is it worth making a paracetemol based film developer similar to Rodinal? Has anyone made and used it, your thoughts please.
Old 12th March 2017, 03:19 PM
New User

I'm Brazilian parodinal use a few months ago. My previous experience was with D76. I am delighted with the results and with the practicality. I use it only for Iso 100. It never ends and it does not spoil. The glass I used bought over 3 years. I do not know how to do the chemistry but they say it's simple

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk
Old 12th March 2017, 10:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Cleared out my mothers medicine cabinet the other day and found 80-90 paracetemol tablets. Is it worth making a paracetemol based film developer similar to Rodinal? Has anyone made and used it, your thoughts please.
I find it works well with FP4+ and keeps well even though it looks like ditchwater in the bottle (a small amount from last batch but one was OK after 4 years). Recipe I use replaces sulphite with extra hydroxide and metabisulphite, one tip is to use Pottasium metabisulphite to help with solubility problems of having too much sodium.

Last edited by DavidMB; 12th March 2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 13th March 2017, 07:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMB View Post
I find it works well with FP4+ and keeps well even though it looks like ditchwater in the bottle (a small amount from last batch but one was OK after 4 years). Recipe I use replaces sulphite with extra hydroxide and metabisulphite, one tip is to use Pottasium metabisulphite to help with solubility problems of having too much sodium.
Hello Dave, there are quite a few formulas out there, some users say it is the additives in the tablets that make the stock muddy, which formula did you use?
Old 13th March 2017, 01:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hello Dave, there are quite a few formulas out there, some users say it is the additives in the tablets that make the stock muddy, which formula did you use?
The tabletting additives do leave an insoluble residue, rather like having a split tea bag. More recent mixes I have used paracetamol capsules and just emptied the powder contents into the mix. There were still some floaters

Last batch working well and used the following mix.

16 x 500mg capsules paracetamol
20g sodium metabisulphite (Youngs u-brew Camden tablets from Wilkos)
19g sodium hydroxide (sold as Caustic soda in B&Q)

Cooled boiled water (boiling softens and removes dissolved oxygen)

1) Dissolve 10g NaOH in 50ml water. It will get warm. While still warm add the paracetamol, stir and allow to cool.

2) Dissolve 9g NaOH in 70ml of water, allow to cool and add metabisulphite.

3) Mix two solutions at room temperature and make up to 150ml and decant to a bottle that you can exclude air from. I use my daughter's discarded Schwarzkopf hair dye applicator bottles.

4) Allow to 'meld' for at least 72 hours

There will be crystals that deposit at the bottom of the bottle, those appear to act as oxygen scavengers and should not be removed.

Oh and word of warning - do the mixing in a well ventilated area and no where near photo film or paper as sulphur dioxide from camden tablets will fog them. Wear eye and skin protection when mixing, caustic soda burns are nasty.

Last edited by DavidMB; 13th March 2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Safety warning
Old 13th March 2017, 02:10 PM
Friend

QUOTE] Thank you David, I will have a go with that one rainy day, never ever heard the word "meld" before but it sounds good. It sounds like a good word to describe a corn beef stew that always tastes better the day after when its been re-heated Or it could describe my welding
Old 15th March 2017, 03:47 PM
Friend

Quote:

QUOTE] Thank you David, I will have a go with that one rainy day, never ever heard the word "meld" before but it sounds good. It sounds like a good word to describe a corn beef stew that always tastes better the day after when its been re-heated Or it could describe my welding
Oxford dictionary tells me it is a newish (1930s) word combining mix with weld, I'm sure it is older than that. Back on track I recalled this thread from 'another place' that may be useful - a Parodinal spreadsheet ...

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/a-pa-rodinal-calculator.94794/
Old 18th March 2017, 08:31 AM
Friend

David, I'm fascinated to try this, I am going to get the materials together today. Can you clarify about the quantity? - 150ml wouldn't even do a 35mm film - is it used diluted, or do I multiply everything for greater quantities. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMB View Post
The tabletting additives do leave an insoluble residue, rather like having a split tea bag. More recent mixes I have used paracetamol capsules and just emptied the powder contents into the mix. There were still some floaters

Last batch working well and used the following mix.

16 x 500mg capsules paracetamol
20g sodium metabisulphite (Youngs u-brew Camden tablets from Wilkos)
19g sodium hydroxide (sold as Caustic soda in B&Q)

Cooled boiled water (boiling softens and removes dissolved oxygen)

1) Dissolve 10g NaOH in 50ml water. It will get warm. While still warm add the paracetamol, stir and allow to cool.

2) Dissolve 9g NaOH in 70ml of water, allow to cool and add metabisulphite.

3) Mix two solutions at room temperature and make up to 150ml and decant to a bottle that you can exclude air from. I use my daughter's discarded Schwarzkopf hair dye applicator bottles.

There will be crystals that deposit at the bottom of the bottle, those appear to act as oxygen scavengers and should not be removed.

Oh and word of warning - do the mixing in a well ventilated area and no where near photo film or paper as sulphur dioxide from camden tablets will fog them. Wear eye and skin protection when mixing, caustic soda burns are nasty.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
David, I'm fascinated to try this, I am going to get the materials together today. Can you clarify about the quantity? - 150ml wouldn't even do a 35mm film - is it used diluted, or do I multiply everything for greater quantities. Thanks.
Rodinal used at 1+25 or 1+50 dilution for normal development. Some folks use at 1+100 for stand development. A little goes a long way. Check with film manufacturers recommendations for times and ISO ratings.

For example - FP4+

1+25 9 mins for 125 ISO or 13 mins for 200 ISO

1+50 15 mins for 125 ISO or 20 mins for 200 ISO

I never use less than 5ml of stock solution for a film for two reasons, firstly even with a syringe it is not easy to measure less and second need to make sure there is enough developing agent. Oh and with faster film than FP4+ you do get big grain.

Try http://www.adox.de/RODINAL.pdf

Last edited by DavidMB; 18th March 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 18th March 2017, 09:16 PM
Friend

Thanks, I purchased all the materials for a grand total of £5.50, so I'm all set to make some now. The next batches will cost a lot less, since I will only need some more Paracetemol.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies