Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd April 2017, 01:40 PM
Friend

Default Jupiter-12 35mm F/2.8 stiff aperture

I have a Jupiter-12 in Kiev 4 fit, and the aperture is stuck fully open.
I've tried using the point of a ball-pen, and nothing moves. (Yes, I've tried moving the correct slot, and not the one that secures the front element.) I wonder if originally they were supplied with an "aperture key"? Haven't found any reference or offers via eBay. Or, is it simply time that I ask a lens repairer to free things up?
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:04 PM
Friend

Sounds like something has siezed up inside, a good clean and grease by technician will probably sort it out.
I know that some Russian lenses had that as a perennial problem.

You have a good camera repair man close to where you live. He was principally a Minolta technician but 2 years ago he sorted out a very poorly Apo Rodagon for me and including postage didn't cost a fortune.

I have just looked up my receipt. His phone number is 01908 378088 and address 9 Warfside, Milton Keynes, MK2 2AZ and the person to speak with is Dave Boyle. There is a note on his website that his workshop is closed during April for refubishment. I suppose a call would clarify when he's re-opening.

Last edited by John King; 22nd April 2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:08 PM
Friend

John, thanks for your reply. I know David well, and he's done quite a few repairs for me, so it's probably time to see him again. (I've got two Kiev 4 bodies - both with different faults, so I'll probably ask him to attend to them at the same time.)
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:50 AM
Friend

Might be worth checking out YouTube in case there's an easy fix.

Last edited by Brock; 23rd April 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 24th April 2017, 01:32 PM
Friend

Malcolm, pardon me if this is a daft question, but how does the lens behave when it's on the camera? It sounds like you've only tested it off-camera(?). Also stuck?

BTW, if you Google "jupiter lens repair" you will get several hits, including a few YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FQWufgQFg

These ones have a quick-lube method which might do the trick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVCGv2z7RbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV98QSbmp8A

Best of luck with this!

Svend
Old 24th April 2017, 10:53 PM
Friend

Hi Svend, the camera and lens are not linked except via the focus mechanism, which seems OK. I'm wary of applying oil/grease to the lens as with my clumsiness, I'd probably apply too much, or the wrong sort. Thanks for the links - they're all new to me.
Old 25th April 2017, 01:20 PM
Friend

Probably a good idea not to attempt that, then. Should be an easy fix for a repairer to handle. Hope it works out for you - they sound like terrific lenses.

Best,
Svend
Old 27th April 2017, 08:21 PM
Friend

Problem solved!

Idly playing with the lens, but this time mounted in a Kiev 4, I noticed that somehow I'd closed the aperture slightly. Earlier, I'd been trying to rotate the wrong part. The small slots, mentioned in my opening message, do not rotate with respect to the lens housing. However, the funnel shaped collar, immediately adjacent, outboard of the front element, and printed with the lens aperture markings, does rotate; and rotating this controls the size of the aperture. It rotates quite easily - once you've found the knurled ring.
At the outer edge of this funnel (or cone), there's a knurled ring and this is outboard of the filter threads, so aperture adjustment is possible with a filter fitted. All these parts are painted black making examination difficult, but hopefully helping retain contrast in the image.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.
Old 28th April 2017, 01:57 AM
Friend

Hey -- good one! Easiest fix ever Hope the lens is a cracker and gives you some great images.

Best,
Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies