Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th March 2010, 10:35 PM
Friend

Default Adox CHS Art 100

I have a Toyo 8x10 camera on loan for a while and plan on using Adox CHS Art 100 sheet film.

Has anyone used this film in sheet format and is able to pass on any useful processing tips? I was thinking of using my current standard developer, PMK Pyro, to which Silverprint claim the film is "particularly suited".
Old 18th March 2010, 09:40 AM
Friend

Roy, I use it in 5 x4 , 5 x 7 and 10 x 8 formats. It is very nice stuff.
Close to HP5+ in terms of contrast, grain and processing times. Close to FP4+ in terms of speed and sharpness.

It suffers from reciprocity failure. I have found that if the meter indicates a one second exposure and you actually give one second, you will underexpose. So for one second I give two, and if the meter says two seconds I give five.

The emulsion is quite fragile when wet, so handle with care.

In sunny conditions I rate the film at 50 and develop at 20 degrees C. in a tray either in Rodinal 1+50 for 12 minutes or Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100 for ten minutes.

Stick to times you would use for HP5+ or about 25% more than you would use for FP4+ and you won't go far wrong.

Alan

Alan
Old 18th March 2010, 07:57 PM
Friend

Alan, thank you, that is very helpful and exactly the kind of information I need.

I had read about the fragility of this emulsion and your comments confirm it. As for reciprocity characteristics, I guess this is to be expected in a film of this type and - as I shall be using a lens with a maximum aperture of f18 - I shall need to compensate extensively!

The film arrives from Silverprint tomorrow....

Many thanks.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:57 AM
Friend

Roy -

I would also emphasize the softness of the emulsion when wet. It can scratch easily and small pieces can even come off if handled roughly. I would recommend only developing one sheet at a time if you are doing tray development.

Despite that, I really like the film and it is perhaps the favorite of the three films I regularly use.

If there is a "must get" shot then I usually make two exposures - but that is much easier to do in roll than sheet film.

Mark

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies