Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th June 2011, 05:24 PM
Friend

Default Articles on enlargers

I wonder if it would be useful for the site to have a series of articles on the most popular enlargers? The ones that have stood the test of time and are still in demand today. Grouping as much info and links in one place would help newcomers and may also attract new users to the site as they stumble across the articles on google.
I suggest this now as I've accumulated a lot of facts, figures and links about the enlargers I've now settled on for my darkroom and could post it all here. Not a review as such, but more of a resource or reference.
I can kick off with the V35 and L1200 and maybe the 504, although I have less info on the latter.
What do you all think?
Old 5th June 2011, 06:01 PM
Friend

Excellent idea - it should prove a useful resource, especially if the various versions and accessories are included.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 5th June 2011, 06:22 PM
Friend

Yes anything like that is useful to someone shopping around for an enlarger and doesn't know where to start.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th June 2011, 06:59 PM
Friend

It may be a good idea to list list enlargers but new ones would be sort list.
Recommending S/H ones could be misguiding as there is so much junk around today.
We also do not want newcomer to think that you must have certain enlarger to make a fine print as you don't, all thats needed is a light source, square negative stage and base with a good lens.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 5th June 2011, 07:25 PM
Friend

I think it is rather a good idea - I've got Meopta, Devere and Durst catalogues/sales brochures (latter day ones) which could be scanned if anyone is interested, also a Schneider enlarging lens catalogue!
As Jon said, new ones would be a short list, but there are still a lot of really great old ones around.
Phli
Old 5th June 2011, 09:01 PM
Friend

OK, I'll give it a go and start with the V35.
It'll be up in a day or two and can then be altered and added to as friends see fit.
The idea was not to make recommendations, except of course by implication of being written about, but to provide as much info as possible in one place about the most used and in demand enlargers be they old or new. The three I suggested happened to be my choices after trying out quite a few. Perhaps others could add more articles on other enlargers? The more the better, I think, as any newcomer to the darkroom is bound to be bamboozled by all that's available.
I'm not sure there are many new ones though - a short list indeed. Do they still make Kaiser/Dunco, LPL and Meopta? Or is it just as new old stock that's available? And do Odyssey make new enlargers or recondition/rebuild old ones?
Old 6th June 2011, 06:57 AM
Friend

An excellent idea, with each type i.e. Durst 1200, is presented as a separate article then others can add their own comments and experiences with their version.
As Jon says it cannot be a recommendation for any particular model/type but it will pool information for those following that require it.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:41 AM
Friend

First one is up - feel free to comment and correct the inevitable errors and omissions.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:38 AM
Friend

I could put together a few notes on the 504 / 5108 systems.

Tom
Old 6th June 2011, 11:46 AM
Friend

Nice article! You've made me even more determined to find a reason to get a Leitz enlarger . . thanks!
Phil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies